Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Predator007

PNY Geforce4 MX 420 AGP problem with XP....

XP installed fine, but when I rebooted and logged in XP detects this card 32 times and wants 32 drivers installed for each instance. I install the Det 28.32 driver with the refresh rate fix and delete all the other display adapter incidences, do a reboot and the machine boots, but no display after the XP Loading screen. I have ran the refresh rate fix and re-installed the drivers (several older version too), and still the same results. At the end of my rope here, and I have no idea WHY XP detects this card 32 times!!! Anyone

have any ideas or have run into this before....

Thanks

Predator 007

ABIT BD7 with Intel 845 chipset

Pentium 4 1.6(Northwood) chip

512MB DDR Memory

60GB IBM DEskstar

PNY GeForce4 MX 420 AGP with 64MB SDRAM

You've probably done all this. Nvidia drivers are the worst for installation problems.

Go to the PNY website and download the newest install program or drivers for your card for XP and any supporting programs for desktop display that many cardmaker now add.

Go into Control Panel, Install/Uninstall Software. Uninstall the Nvidia stuff.

Go to Hardware and install your card as Standard VGA. If you don't do this, XP will keep looking for drivers for that card. It will probably want to reboot. Don't.

Go to windows explorer and find all the Nvidia drivers (nv*.*) (usually, found in winnt\system32 and winnt\system32\drivers). The general consensus is to delete them. I'd copy them to a floppy and not delete them. This is chancey because an old driver can mess you up. Reboot.

Let windows come up using the Standard VGA. The desktop ususally looks pretty anemic. It shouldn't look for a new driver set for your card.

Generally, the install driver program you downloaded is an .exe file. Double click on it from windows explorer and let it install the drivers.

Since this is a late post, you've probably resolved the problem by now.

Thanks for your imput Sampson.

Issues was with an old network card installed in the

system. Once removed the video card was detected once

and I was able to install the drivers....

Thanks