Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fenn

Bus Mastering (DVD Playback)

I'm running Win 2K SP 2 Direct X 8.1 on a 2 year old Athlon based PC

650 MHz Athlon, 256 meg RAM, AMD 750 chipset

The machine originally came with Windows 98 and had the AMD bus mastering drivers installed. When I switched to Win 2K I downloaded the bus mastering package and installed it. However, there have been some problems. The biggest one has to do with the IDE channels. In Win 98, there were 3 items listed under HD controllers in Device Manager: AMD bus mastering controller, primary channel and secondary channel. In Win 98, all 3 were being driven by AMD drivers. However, in Win 2K, only the bus mastering controller gets an AMD driver after installation of the driver package, the primary and secondary channels remain Microsoft drivers

This has nasty side effect of making DVD playback very annoying if a disk is even only extremely slightly damaged or scratched. In Win 98 this wasn't a problem, but in 2K when the player gets to a damaged part of the disc, it will lock up for anything up to a minute and in some cases the DVD player crashes all together. This happened with both PowerDVD and WinDVD. As I already sais, this didn't happein in win 98 on identical hardware with identical drivers installed.

If anyone knows what to do about this please email me at gordon.mcvey@ntlworld.com with the solution, as having to reboot to Win 98 to watch DVDs is really annoying. Thank you.

Forgot to include the motherboard. it's a MicroStar MSI 6167. BIOS version is 1.60 but the MSI page doesn't seem to have any data on this motherboard. Is there a more up to date BIOS and if so would it help if I flashed it and reinstalled?