Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dazultra2000

EXTREME problem on new machine - repeated lockups

I have just sold some bits to a friend (Abit KT7-RAID, 128MB Crucial SDRAM and a Duron 800).

He couldn't get them to work, so he gave me the task of getting it all to work.

Installation of the OS will go problem free - not an issue.

However, when all is up and running, windows will give serious headaches.

I have tried 98, 2000 and XP, and all do it. My problem arises as soon as the computer has full booted into windows (desktop showing, fully loaded).

99% of the time, within two minutes windows will lock up. I can still move the mouse.

About 5 seconds later, the mouse will stop, and after another 30 seconds, the computer will reboot. I haven't had one single stable boot yet on this setup (yet it worked fine when I had it).

Are there any ideas to what the problem is.

The system is:

Duron 800

Abit KT7-RAID (BIOS 7N)

128MB Crucial CAS2 PC133 SDRAM

WD 20GB HDD

Pioneer DVD

Cheapo 54x CD-ROM

Philips 4x4x20x CDRW

Hercules GF2MX400 32MB DDR GFX

I have tried:

Reducing AGP to 2x

taking out everything except the bare essentials (these being CPU/Mobo/RAM/Hard Disk/GFX)

Disabling the HPT controller

Installing all new drivers

Installing 98/2K/XP

and all of the 'usual' stuff like making sure it's all clean/plugged in etc.

PLEASE can you suggest something, as I can't afford to refund his money frown

Sounds like a hardware problem, possibly ESD troubles. Try a different memory stick, or underclock it. Then maybe a diff cpu, and so on.

Have you checked CPU temps & fan speed? Maybe the HSF isn't seated on the CPU quite right, or maybe the fan's decided to wear out before its time? From the fact that it used to work fine with you, but now it doesn't, this would be the 1st thing I'd check. Another thing to consider - did you sell him your PSU as well, or is he using his own, & if so - what are its specs? [though I still think a heat issue is the most likely candidate :)]

PSU is his own, and is 250W...is this a possible cause?

RAM is fine - tested it in my machine

CPU is also fine - works in my system

CPU temps are at the same level as they were when I had it, 35-38°C

Fan is brand new and is whirring away at 5000rpm+

Heatsink is set fine

What I have done, is disabled ACPI, the HPT controller and reinstalled. This appears to have worked. I do still get some lockups, but not the same as before. Usually happened when installing new hardware.

I went to install his soundcard (an awful old ISA SB16) and it installed fine. Get to play a sound, and nothing happens. I don't know why this is, but I tried my old PCI128 and it worked flawlessly with actually decent sound.

I had to do a fair bit of jiggery [censored]y with his WinTV card though, as IRQs seem to be very picky.

Any suggestions because he wants to have his soft-power-off back.

And I would like to ideally be able to re-enable the HPT as well.

its the ps. i had this problem once. also try putting in an old video card in its place just too see what happens

I disagree a bit with good old Sapiens here. Running a Duron 800 with a 250 W should work very well, I'd guess that 95 % of all <1400 Athlons in the world are running great on one right now. On another sys I have an old Athlon 800 on an KA7-100 running fine with an 250W PSU, and I used to have it on a oddball 235 W PSU. The make and brand could be an issue though, Athlon has a list off approved recommended PSU s on their site check what that has to say. I'm not saying its impossible but I'd (re)check a lot of other things first:

- pull everything apart and assembling again...Out with all and every extra card **and** hardware except video card, one mem stick and reinstall of OS. You've done it but still...

- no little falling thingy shorting the mobo on the back ?

-The memory and CPU in/out exercise several times, with force applied. RAM should snap in so you hear it and the holders must look completely closed.

- try another data cable on the HD (the ATA 66 & 100 cables have an specific orientation, blue to Mobo), it was right of course but maybe somebody changed it...)

- If you can you run the KT7 boards on 100 Mhz bus speed instead of 133, do it

-double check that you have the correct HPT driver (corresponding to HPT bios number) loaded in Windows and check its for the correct product(like **not** 370 drivers on a 366 sys or whatever), and all mobo patches + reflash with newest Bios from Abit. Reset the CMOS through jumper, by the book, all bios data to reset default fool proof options, and reinstall.

- Test the all the same hardware at once on a different mobo (ideally another KT7)

- then, I'd be pissed enough to test another 250 W PSU if you have one handy, and then maybe I'd be pissed enough to hook it up directly to the closest nuclear power PSU, and see if that helps.

Soft power is a setting in BIOS and windows, not sure what you are referring to.

BTW, try leave that ACPI installed if it installs OK, that is the "modern" solution. Refusing to accept ACPI is like wanting the Commodore back smile

H.

Unfortunately I have already done 95% of what you have listed there. The only thing I can't do is test the hardware on another KT7 - but I tested it on my KR7A - and it worked.

Still looking for options.

Wow, that was really fast

Just be so very sure the mobo isn't shorted. Do the other 5 % (including the PSU, by all means) and give up or do it again! You will win eventually. I'll keep you posted if I get any new ideas. Can you check the KT7 with other hardware also, that would eliminate hardware defects from the list of suspects.

H.

Believe me, checking for shorts is the FIRST thing I do now frown

I had some bad experience with arctic silver and a geforce 3 frown

After 3 hours of rigourous cleaning I got it back to working order - and saved myself from the noose at the same time smile

As for that other 5%:

I am now severely limited for time. I am working tomorrow and the person is picking it back up one hour later....so basically I'm leaving it at what it is until he can spare some more time. At least it is in a workable state at the moment.

I'm still very much up for suggestions though. He has already bough a new sound card, and I have recommended he try a new PSU.

Anything else that I can relay on to him would be very useful though - and might just save my bacon smile

Financial troubles are high when you've never been approved for credit before smile

Quote:

Financial troubles are high when you've never been approved for credit before smile
LOL - know the feeling dude - all too well. My bank's only just agreed to allow me to have a £100 overdraught, which is better than nothing I guess - means I'll get new mobo & CPU a bit sooner. smile