Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Preacher

Asus A7V266-E any good?

Please let me know your experiences, good or bad ones, about the Asus A7V266-E Mainboard, especially if it has similar / same problems with data corruption as boards with KT133A / 686b Chipsets.

I want to kick out my Abit KT7A-Raid (with the bugged 686b Southbridge) and replace it with the Asus A7V266-E. The Abit board for some reason defects files just by reading them, no writing involved! I´ve tested this several times and it reproducably corrupts files.

the spec's on the a7v266-e are very good u can get em at the asus website www.asus.com. Its based on the VIA chipset which is a great chipset. I currently have the a7a266-e and its not bad....its based on a totally different chipset (the ali magik m1647) but newayz asus is a good company

I haven't used the board myself, but I'd expect it to be a top notch board just from previous experiences with Asus. I'm pretty sick of Abit's boards as they're simply unreliable POS, but Asus has been one of my favorite brands. Unless you have to have the highest overclocking board, I seen no reason not to get an Asus. They put stability and reliablity before overclocking features.

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Abit KR7A-133 board but am having serious problems. Basically, the board powers up, all the fans spin, but there is no video and no post.

I've:

- Removed all components except the RAM (1x Mtec 512MB PC2100 DDR), the CPU (Athlon XP 1800 with a Coolermaster heatsink/fan), and the video card (CL GF3 Ti200).

- Reseated the RAM to the different slots and substituted it for an equivalent Samsung chip.

- Swapped the GF3 for a TNT2 Ultra, an ATI Radeon 8500 and even a 4MB PCI card.

- Even gone so far as to remove the entire board from the case before reseating and swapping all the components mentioned above.

- Tested my RAM and CPU in a friend's known working system (with a Soyo board).

...After all this:

- My RAM works in his board, as does the CPU.

- His CPU (an Athlon XP 1900) worked TWICE in mine - ie: the system DID post and we used the opportunity to reset the BIOS defaults but since then, nothing frown

Soo...from all this I'm concluding the problem lies with a bad board/BIOS chip - however, I've become concerned with the number of reports from people with the same board who are experiencing the EXACT same problem.

My questions therefore (and I'm sorry for going on so long) are this:

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem and RESOLVED it?

2. Is there anything more to try? (I always find a fresh perspective helpful) smile

3. If not, and the board does have to be RMA'd, can anyone recommend a board of similar spec that DOESNT seem to cause so many people these problems? (Bear in mind I'll probably keep the XP and DDR ram).

Thanks for reading this far guys and I appreciate any suggestions/assistance yopu can offer...

Regards...

Ian.

It's on the recommended AMD list and happens to be the board they used to benchmark the XP2100+

I'm looking at buying both based on that.

I got the NV7-133R recommended to me by one of the local shops (there's a ton in town), and so far it's been a solid board. Not the fastest thing out there, but it's stable as hell, thanks to the NForce 415 chipset. I almost went for the KR7A-133R, but when they told me how cheap this board was and it's stability, I got it.