Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
isochar

Cannot remove folder, Access Denied

I had this error when I first tried to delete it, so I set permissions up so the administrator group had control of it. Once I deleted it, I thought my problems were solved. However, when I try to empty my recycle bin, it gives me the error again! I can't move it out of the recycle bin to check its permissions because Windows isn't letting me move it.

Any ideas? TIA

Easy, as long as you are on FAT32...

Boot to DOS with a floppy or whatever and do what you want.

If you are on the Dark Side (NTFS), I have no suggestions, sorry. If you have to do a reinstall, switch back to FAT32 and have control of your computer.

H.

I am using NTFS on all my drives. I d/l'd the trial version of NTFSDOS Pro, but it does not see the hidden RECYCLER directory in my root drive. (Not to mention it is limited to read only)

Any other thoughts?

I was able to change the permissions by going to the RECYCLER permissions and setting all subfolders/files to have the same permissions as the RECYCLER.

It eludes me why you guys are using NTFS on a home computer. I don't know how many threads like this one I've seen around the web, just because of the "feature" of NTFS that it cannot be read from older OS's

Please, before (or rather when) you flame me for not believing in NTFS, include some facts on why NTFS better on a home machine or LAN. Not the usual loose "its safer" or "its more secure" arguments that are without practical consequences (?). What real use do you have for it ?

H.

I do use power user accounts rather than logging in as an Administrator, so I suppose that is one practical security use. Also, I believe FAT was created back in the late 70s, while NTFS is a bit more up-to-date. I'll stick with the latter, since this was my first problem using it. wink

I think the only reason I'll ever use NTFS on my system is when I get a bigger drive [30GB @ the mo] & have room to play around with video recording & editing as NTFS allows files bigger than 4GB [or so I've heard].

Edit: oops, forgot to add that I would only be using NTFS on the partition that I would dedicate to large video files, not my boot partition or any of the others.