Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Windows XP + Visual Studio.NET = Performance trouble???

Dear All,

I was wondering if other people seem to be experiencing SEVERE performance trouble with Visual Studio .NET installed on a Windows XP Professional Machine. Even when VS.NEt is not running at all the machine seems to be super sluggish! I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHZ, 256MB DDR RAM, and a 60GB 7200RPM IBM DeskStar (also a GeForce 2 MX400). When NOTHING ELSE IS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND it seems like the machine is chugging at like 100MHZ!!!!!! IE windows will not open, It takes forever to load, Windows's responsitivity goes down the ditch, etc...

Does anybody else have this problem?

Fine with me as well on my 2.4GHz, 1.1GHz, and 733MHz boxes (all Intel). Have you checked your task manager to see what process(es) is sucking up all your CPU cycles?

Yup, checked the task manager, and closed down everything I could, Still somehow the system is sluggish. I know VS.NET caused this because it was fine with no problems before I installed VS.NET!

Try checking if your task list hl.exe

after playing half life when i exit, the hl.exe is still running and it causes so much trouble with ie. it takes too much time to open ie. as soon as i close it, its fine.

ARC

I haven't seen a problem with it, either. It is a fairly hefty install though. How much room do you currently have on your system partition? Your pagefile may be experiencing growing pains.

I'm running Visual.NET at work on a P4 1.8Ghz and there is absolutely no problem when using the computer.

But 256Mb RAM isn't enough for sure.

clutch, the system logs mention nothing interest5ing or weird.

miku, I hate Half Life. Its not installed on my machine and I do not play it! (try return To Castle Wolfenstein, LOL)

Its weird, Even the C++ Compiler/Debugger (the language I use) seems slugish, and it takes forever to run-to-cursor (ctrl-f10), and sometimes it gives me weird eception handling errors and tries to "break" even though I know the code has no problems whatsoever. The code runs fast and without problems on Visual C++ 6.0 but VC++ .NEt complains all the time. Also, it seems like the system is experiencing bad perfomrance after the install.

As for the free space, I have 7GB free on my system partition, so that SHOULD be enough for the paging file. I think my paging file is set to a maximum of about 700 MB, since i have 256MB of RAM