Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thymios

Norton Personal Firewall

I've got two networked computers with ICS enabled.

One computer has the static 192.168.0.1 and the other set to auto. When i installed Norton Personal firewall, i run the network wizzard and it added the global 192.168.0.0 on the trusted computers list. The other computer is assigned by DHCP with the address 169.254.96.172, which means that it's not covered on the trusted list. I added the address myself there but still no luck(no network-no internet connection sharing).

I know that Norton firewall has the file sharing on MS network disabled by default. I enabled this and still no luck. I can't see the other computer, neither the other can see mine.

I am going nuts here, i've tried all the damn combos.

What pisses me off is that when you have ICS enabled, the client computer HAS to have dynamic IP on. If i assign a static IP on the other computer the network works over the firewall, but ICS is not.

Please help out if you have any clue because this is really driving me mad.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:

What pisses me off is that when you have ICS enabled, the client computer HAS to have dynamic IP on.

Well it shouldn't need to have dynamic IP on (unless Norton is doing something silly) - just set the IPs manually and set primary DNS and gateway on the clients to 192.168.0.1

Otherwise, if you do have to use dynamic IPs, since your client PC is being assigned such a silly IP address, you should look into making sure that your DHCP server is working correctly.

I just tested this out to verify, the 169.254.x.x ip range is a special range which will be assigned to a dhcp client that is not able to obtain an ip lease from the server. Try looking at norton and see if it is blocking this.

Thanks for replying guys.

I found a temporary solution to the problem. I disabled the firewall on the server computer and then rebooted the client. It was assigned with 192.168.x.x IP and then everything worked fine. Probably for some reason norton was not allowing the other machine to get the IP from the range 192.168.x.x, doesn't really matter anymore, as long as the other computer doesn't get an out of range IP again.

I'll also try to give the other computer a static IP with the method you just said Xiven. I tried it before but i only filled the gateway with the 192.168.0.1 NOT the DNS server.

Once again thanks for reading and replying.

Quote:

I just tested this out to verify, the 169.254.x.x ip range is a special range which will be assigned to a dhcp client that is not able to obtain an ip lease from the server.

I did wonder if it was something like that - thanks for clarifying

I had the same problem, here's how I fixed it:

The default system wide rules in Norton Personal Firewall for Inbound Bootp seem to be wrong. The default connections specify local port 68 and remote port 67. If you use local 67 and remote 68, the client is able to connect to DHCP properly.

Quote:

Well it shouldn't need to have dynamic IP on (unless Norton is doing something silly) - just set the IPs manually and set primary DNS and gateway on the clients to 192.168.0.1

Otherwise, if you do have to use dynamic IPs, since your client PC is being assigned such a silly IP address, you should look into making sure that your DHCP server is working correctly.

ICS won't work in a 2000 environment unless you're using DHCP, thats why it isn't reccomended for Server - server relations.

At least, thats what I've been told and verified.