Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

Remote Shutdown

Hi, just a quick question (hopefully) smile i seem to remember seeing something about this before, but is there a way to shutdown a computer remotly. The computer is just on my LAN running win2000, is there a way to do it in ME also?

There is the "Shutdown.exe" file that you can get from the NT/2K resource kits (comes with Windows XP), and I think there is a freebie version at Download.com named "Shutdown32" or something similar. I use them regularly for shutdowns, reboots, and logoffs.

There is also an excellent piece of trialware from Famatech, Remote Administrator, that lets you do that and much more. You can operate the other PC in a window just like the one you are sitting at.

H.

That would be useful, does it require anything loaded on the client machines?

Clutch, shutdown.exe any idea what the parameters are for it to get it to shutdown another PC? I would check it myself but ill probably end up shutting my pc down and its doing something important atm smile

Here's what you get when running "shutdown.exe /?" at the command prompt in WinXP:

Code:
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]No args			Display this message (same as -?)-i			Display GUI interface, must be the first option-l			Log off (cannot be used with -m option)-s			Shutdown the computer-r			Shutdown and restart the computer-a			Abort a system shutdown-m \\computername	Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort-t xx			Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds-c "comment"		Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)-f			Forces running applications to close without warning-d [u][p]:xx:yy		The reason code for the shutdown			u is the user code			p is a planned shutdown code			xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)			yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

And here's what you get in the old school version that comes with the NT/2K resource kits:

shutdown.gif

Get the program called HYENA....no client installs needed and you can do more than just remote shutdown (remote registry, remote event viewer) you can even start remote applications etc....

K, thanks guys, ive just got back from a trip so ill try all this later and see what works out best. smile

A good non-freeware program is Remotely Anywhere. I have used many 'remote connection' programs and find this one to be the best. I works through a browser and all you need to do is set it up on the client machine. No software is needed on the host.

www.remotelyanywhere.com