Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Catdog02

Yet another reason to NOT like XP.

Cutting a long story short.

Since Kodak image viewer wasn't included in WinXP, my users have been forced to use Image and Fax Viewer for a .tiff file that gets sent around our network weekly. The viewer is useless, it is incredibly slow (even on 500 Meg P4's) to open the images, and navigating them is both difficult and time consuming. I have found a way to get the original Win2k viewer running, by copying some .Dll's and OCX files, plus the application itself. even on a 233 P2 the difference is noticibly superior.

Now I need it to work on a users P4. The program runs fine, I can save and print etc, when I log on with my domain administrator rights I have no problem setting the kodak program up as the default viewer (which is my objective here) even local administrator rights are sufficient. However anyone with domain user associations cannot change the to program, Unless I give them sufficient rights to do so. I've tried changing the rights, setting up the machine and then changing the rights back again. whilst changed, everything is fine, as soon as I change the rights back, XP reverts to the original (crap) viewer, and I can no longer select the kodak program.

I've tried setting the kodak program to run as Admin.

I've tried to change the way the program runs with the built in apcompat settings

I'm losing my patience.

Is anyone aware of a security setting I can change on the local machine? bearing in mind that the server that this machine is attached to an NT 4.0 Server, and that the domain rules will most likely override security settings at logon.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you use a program like ACDSee. XP doesnt suck just because the imageviewer sucks. But I agree, it does suck smile

Quote:

Since when does Windows XP suck?

Windows XP sucks IMHO because:

• [*]Infinite loop crashes which still haven't been fixed (Via/nvidia issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k). [*]USB devices randomly being dropped (probably a Via issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k) [*]Web view removed - okay, many people don't like it but I do and it annoys me that MS didn't give us the choice [*]Explorer randomly locking media files - happens with mp3, avi, anything really, only way to delete/rename/move the files that get locked is to kill explorer and use the command window [*]Simple File Sharing and other stupid things enabled by default - okay these can be disabled, but many people don't know where the options to disable them are and so get confused (eg. a win98 user migrates to winXP and can't figure out how to password protect shares - with simple file sharing you just can't)
    [/list:u]

Quote:

• [*]Infinite loop crashes which still haven't been fixed (Via/nvidia issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k). [*]USB devices randomly being dropped (probably a Via issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k) [*]Web view removed - okay, many people don't like it but I do and it annoys me that MS didn't give us the choice [*]Explorer randomly locking media files - happens with mp3, avi, anything really, only way to delete/rename/move the files that get locked is to kill explorer and use the command window [*]Simple File Sharing and other stupid things enabled by default - okay these can be disabled, but many people don't know where the options to disable them are and so get confused (eg. a win98 user migrates to winXP and can't figure out how to password protect shares - with simple file sharing you just can't)
    [/list:u]

1: via sucks i have not had one blue screen on my i840 with my Geforce
2: via sucks my usb works fine
3: isn't web view enabled by default (I think I may be confused as to what you mean by web view
4: never had that problem
5: windows has allways required a lot of configuration after install i don't think that xp is any worse

Quote:

*Infinite loop crashes which still haven't been fixed (Via/nvidia issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k).
[/b]
Actually, it seems that some have had this same issue under Win2K as well:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Also, I did get this error once with my GeForce2 Pro on my SOYO P4S Dragon Ultra (SiS 645 Chipset) using the 23.12 drivers from the MS site. As long as I have avoided those, I seem to be fine. Never got it on an Intel chipset regardless of OS, CPU/Chipset combo, video card, or workload.
Quote:

*USB devices randomly being dropped (probably a Via issue but it doesn't happen under Win2k)

I've got a few USB gizmos on several WinXP machines, and I haven't seen this one either. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but I haven't heard of it either. What kind of gizmos are dropping off? Is it possible that the drivers or devices themselves aren't up to snuff?
Quote:

*Web view removed - okay, many people don't like it but I do and it annoys me that MS didn't give us the choice

I'm lost on this one as well; please tell me what you mean by "Web View".
Quote:

*Explorer randomly locking media files - happens with mp3, avi, anything really, only way to delete/rename/move the files that get locked is to kill explorer and use the command window.

To be fair, I have seen this one. But occasionally, I saw it in Win2K as well. It appears like whatever process you had using that file seems to hang around and keeps a lock on the file. But, when you look for the process that *would* do this, there isn't one to be found. I tend to see this more on files that I have expanded using the built-in ZIP decompressor.
Quote:

*Simple File Sharing and other stupid things enabled by default - okay these can be disabled, but many people don't know where the options to disable them are and so get confused (eg. a win98 user migrates to winXP and can't figure out how to password protect shares - with simple file sharing you just can't).

I think the idea was to make it easier for the average Win9X user (or newbie admin rolling this out in a workgroup) to setup on a network.

I dig WinXP as it is *much* easier to administer on a LAN with it's increased GP options and Terminal Services. However, it's a pig when running on slower boxes (you know the ones; the ones that you would throw out the window if you could...) but still stable.

Oh, and Via sucks...

:P

Quote:
What kind of gizmos are dropping off? Is it possible that the drivers or devices themselves aren't up to snuff?

Well, both my Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro and my Logitech Dual Optical USB mouse get dropped. I don't think it's the devices themselves, but the USB interface that's going wrong (I mean come on, if a Microsoft-made keyboard doesn't work what chance is there? :))

Quote:
I'm lost on this one as well; please tell me what you mean by "Web View".

Okay, a little clarification on "web-view"

webview.png

Web view is that pane on the left-hand side of an explorer window that contains image/media preview, file properties etc. I know what you'll say - they have that in XP. Well sort of. In XP you cannot have both the folder list and the web view visible at the same time (like I have above) and also you can't customise it on a per-folder basis (like I've done in the above picture :)).

I know it seems like a little thing but it really does annoy me. ;(

Quote:
Oh, and Via sucks...

Thought you'd bring that up smile yeah Via does suck (I'll admit it), and if I had the money I'd go out and buy a lovely nForce mobo or even an Intel chipset or something but I am but a poor student smile.

I am a little familiar with the MS KB problem, since I had the same issue with this SOYO mobo (Via USB controller, go figure...). For some reason, I thought they had a NEC unit on there, but they don't. One thing that might help you though; I called SOYO support and the tech told me that there was a KB article on this exact issue with Windows XP and it not picking up certain devices. For some reason though, it was always my KB. My Intellimouse Explorer and SanDisk reader would work fine, but the KB would have a 1-in-5 chance of not being picked up at boot time. The suggestion was to just plug in both the PS/2 and USB connectors (mine has a built-in "Y" at the end of the cable with both connectors). Since then, I have not had one issue with any USB device, and I can use all the extended functionality of my KB (the media player and browser keys) along with the built-in USB hub of the KB. But, this is the only system that has had this issue, and all my other (Intel based) systems have been fine.

Gotcha on Web View now; I miss that as well since I would easily get my drive stats on the left-hand pane. However I have been a pretty big fan of the newer interface where you can collapse and expand the info you are interested in, so it kinda washed out for me.

The nForce will kick a$$ once it's a bit more mature. wink

Hmmm...well except for some overclocking too high, my Via boards USB work fine. The last board I had with USB issues was, ironically, Intel's own SE440BX-2 board. Go figure. ;(

For what I want, Via is great. I've used a number of boards with great sucess, and don't see a reason to stop now. It's not for a real critical business setting, so chipsets really don't matter as much, IMHO.

"Explorer randomly locking media files - happens with mp3, avi, anything really, only way to delete/rename/move the files that get locked is to kill explorer and use the command window

Simple File Sharing and other stupid things enabled by default"

I totally second that opinion/insight.

Msft (being only one company) solves a number of things, and invokes a whole new slew of Mickey Mouse games that they may actually enjoy playing in Richmond, but *NO ONE* else in the world does. That's the one area where Linux shines. Since it's reviewed by (literally) 10,000,000 college kids the world over, those annoying little problems get whacked with a PR-24. But, since they get paid for each operating system that someone upgrades to, it's definately in their best interest to release buggy software.

I'm tired of treating symptoms. I want to nuke the disease...

"it's definately in their best interest to release buggy software."

What complete rubbish.

Do you honestly think that during the process of designing, coding and then finally releasing an OS a company sits back and says "Well guys, we'd better leave some bugs in this one or else nobody will buy the next one"?

Do you honestly think that once a product becomes gold and is released to the public that is it, no further development/fixing?

All companies work on tight schedules.

A decision has to be made as to when a product is going to be released.

If a product stayed in development until it was 100% perfect it would never see the light of day, by the time it was ready all the contained technology would be totally out of date.

You have an on-going concern, something you as a Linux user should know about considering the Linux OS's are always constantly being updated.

The product needs to hit the shelves with the minimum of bugs and issues and then allow it to be fixed in the workplace.

You do know that of the hundreds of known 'bugs' in WinXP that over half of them are trivial things like Help files not displaying, typo's and spelling mistakes?

Linux doesn't exactly 'shine' anywhere.

When was the last time you had an e-mail in your inbox telling you about a Linux security flaw?

Don't start giving me all this "There aren't any" crap, at least with an MS product I am always alerted as soon as an issue is found so that I can plug it before any kind of damge is done.

I don't need to trawl through newsgroups to find what fixes I need.

I have to agree with BladeRunner here. Let's see here, Windows owns what, 95% of the OS market, Linux owns what 1%, if that. Now which OS can hurt more people if exploited? Gee, let's hurt 1% of the entire computing world instead of that 95% or so. Yeah right! Linux may be good for some things, but the home user desktop and ease of use are not where it shines. I've tried it and it's more work than it's worth. Any OS has it's own problems, but that in NO way means Windows sucks. XP is a new OS, granted, and, yes, MS OS's do have a few problems from the start. If MS waited to try and find every little problem, they'd never release anything, and neither would anyone else. Software will never be perfectly coded, because it's done by humans, who are imperfect.

i have a kt266a chip on and i havn't had any problems yeah i had a couple bsod's but i fixed them with switching the video driver, but it's not via's fault on the bsod's it's nvidia for the reason of thier drivers.My usb works fine,no cut out's or anything so far i am plezed with my via baord. and and it isn't xp's fault either.micxrosoft has been a big improvement and impression on it's users. I am glad that thier is xp cause i hate doin fresh installs and having to install the drivers for my devices. not with xp it auto installs 3/4 of my devices.

Quote:
Originally posted by clutch
To be fair, I have seen this one. But occasionally, I saw it in Win2K as well. It appears like whatever process you had using that file seems to hang around and keeps a lock on the file. But, when you look for the process that *would* do this, there isn't one to be found. I tend to see this more on files that I have expanded using the built-in ZIP decompressor.

This happens to me quite often. frown

One question: Sometimes I get a variation of this problem where the file continues locked even after a reboot. Anyone else has experienced this?

[]s Badaro

Yeah, that's happened to me on a few occasions, but not recently. It even happened once or twice with 98SE, so the theory about it being an NT-based-OS-only thing goes out the window.

Quote:

How about an update Catdog?

4&20,why is your signature so big? Just curious.

If you got a big sig, just use the

tags in your sig as i did in mine smile