Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vfrjim

Adding a ata133 controller on win2k system

I have a ata133 drive running on a Intel 845d chipset ata100 controller and was wondering what was the procedure to install my Maxtor ata133 controller and make that drive boot up correctly using that ata133 controller, don't like to see a "inaccessable boot device" BSOD, can anyone one help on this one, I know that I should install the controller first so that the controller is functioning in windows, but editing the boot.ini is greek to me, anyone?

thanks!

Jim

You could edit boot.ini or reinstall, if you choose to reinstall then make sure you press F6 at boot up. If you dont reinstall, install the drivers first. then you can boot with say a 98bootdisk, and edit the boot.ini file, I believe replacing ur line with this line should work

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

remember to back it up, but that should work, reinstalling will work .. good luck ..

-neural

install the maxtor ata133 pci card first without hooking up the hard drive.

go into my pc properties/hardware and install the drivers with the maxtor cd that came with the controller.

after win2k sees the controller turn off pc and hook up the drive.

at this point you can either use maxblast ii floppy to format the drive or go to computer management/disk management and format the drive.

if you dual boot you need to partition the drive into 2 equal or any partition less than 137gig so bios can recognize it.

i opted for the win2k disk management format and formatted my drive as one partition 152gig. don't ask me where the 8gig went.

good luck.

Quote:

formatted my drive as one partition 152gig. don't ask me where the 8gig went.
That's because when a drive manufacturer says gig they mean 1 billion bytes, and when the OS says gig it means 2^30 bytes (2^30 = 1,073,741,824). So a 160 "GB" drive = 160,000,000,000 bytes = 156,250,000 KB = 152,587.9 MB = 149 GB. That MB number is probably what you're seeing...

Never use a disk manager unless you have too, you will end up with problems down the road. Disk managers use their own boot code and if something happens to your install and you need to simply recover data you may not be able too because of the disk manager's proprietary code.

thanks for the warning.

i use this hd for storage only.

anyway, i could not use maxblast2 to format it.