Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Drive letters out of order in My Computer

On a fresh install of 2k, after I installed SP2 from a burned CD, the drives are out of order in My Computer! In Explorer the left pane shows OK but the right pane is wrong too. In other words they disagree with each other!

As follows: A,E,F,C,D,G,H (C/D is 1 HD, G/H is the other)

Yes, that's right, E is first and that is a CD ROM. F is a burner!

I checked the bios and the boot order is: Floppy, HDD-0 & CDRom.

The only thing I think that caused this is was, SP2 was on a CD that was in the drive at the time of booting and then I installed SP2, removed the CD and the problem appeared after a restart.

It was NOT there before I installed SP2. The other drive (G/H) is bootable also with 2k on it. G/H was disconnected when I loaded the O/S on the other drive so as not to corrupt the first drive which has happened to me before since Windows wants to install in a drive where it finds a O/S installed.

How do I correct this? Again this is just the order of the drives NOT the letters!

Everything works as far as accessing the drives, The letters are OK but just out of order. On the drive with the orginal O/S the order is correct when I switch back to it (both drives can be bootable from via a toggle switch).

That is wierd...but, I have seen it before. The only way I fixed it was to reformat and start over. Sounds like you are fresh on your install, so reformatting may be a plausible option. Just don't leave that CD in the drive incorrectly again...:D

Or on the other hand. If it is working and all aplications are reading what drive they need to read from and you are booting fine, you may be just as welll to leave it alone.

Mike

No....first, not obvious, second, name is not a choice but drive letter is and sounds like the same thing as what Disk Management does and that didn't work either.

As far as living with it, I guess I could but at this early stage, I want to correct it. I don't know if leaving the CD in was the cause, it just sounded stupid enough to be the reason.

The other drive is ok!