Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pcdabbler

Problem with Intel Pro 100 Management adaptors

Here's a strange one .. Have three systems all running XP connected via a Netgear switch, and an Asus EV ADSL modem for internet. The asus uses DHCP and assigns IP's in a pre defined range. All is working fine using 3com NIC's. If I remove the 3com card and install an Intel Pro 100 management adapter card in a system, I have no connectivity at all. The system with the intel card cannot connect to the internet or any other PC. I notice that it has a privatly assigned IP, because it has failed to get an IP assigned via DHCP. If I assign an IP manually, the card will not ping to other systems, and cannot be pinged. Status shows the card sending packets, I see flashing on the switch, but no one answers it. The link light is lit on the card though. I just bought three of these intel cards for another project and they all give the same symptoms. After a few hours of pratting about, I have just put a 3com card back in and it has instantly been detected, and works with no twiddling. Very strange. Has anyone come across this before ? Are intel cards to be avoided ? Do they hate my switch ?

That is really odd, I have an 8-port Netgear switch at home and all Intel Pro/100 Mgmt adapters with no issues at all. I use DHCP off of my server (both NT4 and 2K at various times) and it doesn't have any problems. I have always chose the Intel NICs because of their excellent drivers and durability in many environments (my decision was shaped in a Novell 3.x/4.x/5.x and NT4 multi-network arrangement). Have you tried static assignments to see if the stations can communicate with one another that way?

Thats the wierd thing. If I assign a manual IP to the PC with the Intel card in it in the correct range and mask it still cannot ping other pc's through the Netgear switch (Its a 10/100 8 port) Nor can it ping the router. I do run Norton Internet security on the main PC but have had it it disabled to try the ping tests between it and the other PC with the intel card in it. I have been uninstalling the 3com cards using device manager then shutting down, I wonder if there is some residue thats screwing things up ? A deliberate Act from 3Com to nobble users from switching to intel ? (Joke) Again, after 2 hours of head scratching the 3com card has gone back in and ran instantly..

Very strange. When changing from 3com to intel Pro cards, XP didnt like it. What actually fixed everything was running the new network wizard when the intel card was detected, and setting up the workgroup name from that. Had previously done it manually .. anyhow, the cards now work fine. If only I knew how to remove the brief splash text on boot up..

Hit Ctrl+S I think, and you will get into the BIOS menu for the NIC. You should be able to turn off the Intel NIC's BIOS splash in there.