Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
videobruce

Where are the error logs in 2k?

I look through event viewer to find error logs that come up in the O/S (not other programs) but can't find them in event viewer. Where are they???? 2k w/SP2

Dr. Watson logs are located in c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson.

Is that what you are talking about?

No, nothing to do with Dr Watson.

Example: I try to open add/remove programs and get a error message that says it is going to create a log. mshta.exe error

Don't want to do that, that is the 'easy answer way out'/ 'hard to do way out'!

I'm installing the O/S in my other bootable drive and will go from there. The drive I tried to image from gets this error when I ghost the drive and image it in this 2nd drive. It works ok as installed. Only when I transfer it (ghost) the problem appears.

XP's main logs are in cpanel/admin tools/even viewer

however, I don't think it will help in this case.

You could try re-installing/uninstalling the program.

As I said these are not in Event Viewer. There are more than one program that I have gotten errors from.

All they say is that the program has generated errors and will be shut down and a error log was created.

ahh, I now know what you are talking about.

You can look in control panel/system/advanced-startup & recovery-settings/system failure.

They are set to %SystemRoot%\Minidump by default which is C:\WINDOWS\Minidump by default.

It is most likely you are going to make nothing of this info, however.

Also, this might vary a bit, as I'm using XP.

I can't find the 'minidump' file!

2k shows a 'minidump' file listed as the palce where the entry goes but I can't find it doing a search.

When a program crashes and says it's going to create an error log, it's Dr. Watson that will do this. So you should check out what kgeissler said before. Unless of course, you have some other program registered to do your debugging?

Also, if you are hitting cancel, instead of OK, you probably won't get a drwatson.log file... hope this helps...

If the message reads "... has generated errors ... creating log file", click on Run and type: drwtsn32 . This will bring up any logs of programs that have created such a message. Click on any of those listed, presuming you have not cleared them, and it will give you the pid nnumber which is the Pid number in your Task Manager indicating which program did the nasty deed. Then, you will see your computer's info and then a whole bunch of assembly code that will eventually tell you what offending procedure caused the problem. Good luck because while you might be able to read assembly, what it is referring to is so arcane, only the engineer of the offending software might have to debug it to tell you what happened.

Just to give you an example, I had a program that gave me that message. The fault was: mov byte ptr [eax+edi],0x0 ds:00000006=??. What this amounted to was that the program had called up a particular font did a checksum on it to see if it was scalable within the programs parameters and when it wasn't, the program had no routine to handle a default, croaked and left the message "...has generated ... creating log..."

The drwatson log file is now drwatson.dat. the stuff that's in it is pretty useless unless you have a debugger and are debugging the application that is crashing. Bring up drwatson in the Help command and it will tell you how to change an entry in the registry to keep drwatson from catching the app errors. They will be caught by the default system handler.

You will still have crashes but they will be less annoying.

- AndrweZ