Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HELLBRINGER

"Optimize for quick removal" option for hard disk,

When I go into the device manager, select my extra 20GB WD drive (both my HDs are in removable carriers, can be quickly removed and added) and want to optimize for quick removal, the option is not available. How can I get this to work? I often use this hard disk and often take it out. I need it to be hot swappable. Can this be done?

A little comp info

Windows XP Pro

Epox EP-8KTA3 mobo

EIDE ATA-100

ATA-100 EIDE Western Digital drives

Very large 12 awg. shotgun... ready for future use

Thanks,

Michael

I was also wondering if all drives in removeable carriers can be hot swapped or do they have to be designed to do it.

The drive and the controller/backplane have to support the hot-swap function. Also, most hot-swap functions (all that I have ever seen) have supported it in hardware and Windows never knew if a harddrive failed or not, because it only saw whatever virtual drives that the controller presented to it.

well this option used to be available for my sd/mmc card but the other day i changed it to optimize for performance and it has been greyed out ever since.

also, since i changed it to performance i havent been able to use my secure digital cards and i need to know how to change it back to optimize for quick removal?

anyone?