Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CeRbErO

Sound in DOS under VMware ?

Hey. I just installed VMWare evaluation, just to be able to play Day of the Tentacle. But I have a problem. I have gotten the sound to work on the virtual machine, which runs Win98 SE, but in DOTT, it doesn't work. According to VMware, the virtual sound card on the guest system has the address 0x220 and the IRQ 7. When I enter those settings in the DOTT configuration, I still don't get any sound.

Also, DOTT says "Warning: EMS detects less than 2 megabytes", and thus the game runs kinda slow. A way to fix that would be very good too, but most of all, I just want sound.

Thanks.

vmware doesn't support emm386 properly, it only work with the /noems switch. I've been trying to get good old Privateer to work, but no luck because of that. virtual pc doesn't seem to like my machine, just reboots when starting the emulation. frown

winxppro p4 1.5, 768mb rambus

Quote:

vmware doesn't support emm386 properly, it only work with the /noems switch.

Is the /noems switch for VMware or DOTT?
Also, please help me with the sound anyone? smile

Vmware is pants for DOS compatibily. Virtual PC is MUCH better and the best DOS emulation you can get today in NT.

DosFreak:

Do you know of a way to install MS-DOS 6.22 on Virtual PC without having a floppy disk drive in the computer ?

I have installed the trial version (v. 4.2) of Virtual PC, and I have the 3 MS-DOS setup disks on my hard drive.

Hmmm, See if you can boot from the included PC-DOS boot disk. (Is there one in the trial?), Once booted perform a SYS C:.

Boot from the HD now.

Attach the DOS Additions image to the floppy.

Run the additions installer on the floppy.

Run the DOS Fshare.exe to implement shared folders. (Remember to add lastdrive=z to your config.sys!)

Share your folder to where the DOS files are located on your HD!

Copy the DOS files to your HD.

See if you can run the installer now.

Sigh. This would be so much easier with a floppy drive.

If the above doesn't work...email me and we'll figure out something privately. wink

virtual pc just reboots my whole system whenever I try to fire up the virtual machine... frown it's winxp pro, P41500, 768 RDram on a Asus p4t mobo, sbaudigy, all drives on 29160 scsi adapter, ati aiw radeon, ect. Other than that my system is rock solid, even startrek armada runs good (known to not run so hot).

Quote:

Hey. I just installed VMWare evaluation, just to be able to play Day of the Tentacle. But I have a problem. I have gotten the sound to work on the virtual machine, which runs Win98 SE, but in DOTT, it doesn't work. According to VMware, the virtual sound card on the guest system has the address 0x220 and the IRQ 7. When I enter those settings in the DOTT configuration, I still don't get any sound.
Also, DOTT says "Warning: EMS detects less than 2 megabytes", and thus the game runs kinda slow. A way to fix that would be very good too, but most of all, I just want sound.
Thanks.

A side note: If you just want to play DOTT, ScummVM is probably a better (and cheaper) solution.

[]s Badaro