Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Printer drivers on a user profile?

Moring guys.

I just wanted to know if anyone here knows the script or the "how to" to setup network printer drivers automatically from my domain print server on a new account profile without having to create a roaming profile from the client system. I'd like to do everything from one sitting on the server.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, there are several options. First, install the printer driver and alternate drivers for all types of clients onto the print server. Set appropriate permissions, and let the user simply browse to the server and double click on the printer to have it install.

You can also explore the net use command in a logon script to map a port to a print share.

Here is the syntax from a win9x pc:

NET USE [port:] [\\computer\printer [password | ?]] [/sAVEPW:NO] [/YES] [/NO]

There are other ways of doing this, but these 2 should help out.

-RY

The first part you mentioned is not what I'm looking for. I don't want the Users to do any type of installation but just have it ready for them while they login. This is why I have created Managed Roaming Profile accounts with the printer shares already attached to them. That way if they accidentally delete their shares, all they would have to do is to log out and log back in again. No fuss, no muss for the User.

The second part of your instruction might be what I'm looking for so that I can just add the Login Script when I created the account on my main DC ADS server. That way I don't personally have to make their Roaming Profile Account from the client system.

Thanx again.

Let me know if it works. Also depending on the clients, there might be a utility, most likely in the res kit, that will remotely set up the printers. Something like this might require software to be preinstalled on the client though.

-RY

Thanx Ryoko.

Sorry aboutt the late follow-up. As you can see my time is quite tight. Unfortunately I haven't had time to test it out yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance sometime in the next two weeks. But I will let you know of the results.

Thanx again.