Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NTGAMEMAN

Will Windows Xp Work With This Machine??

here is my system specs:

Motherboard:Tekram P6PRO-A+ VIA Apollo Pro133 ATX

Bios date: 2000/3/29 V1.04 from www.tekram.com.tw

OS: Windows 2000 Professional sp2 + srp1 + 16 pre-sp3 fixes

CPU: Pentium III 700E MMX SSE

Memory: 1x128mb pc-100 1x256mb pc-133 384mb pc-100 sdram 168pin total

Graphics Card: Visiontek Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 T.V/s-video out 64mb

Driver Version: Visiontek 23.11

Monitor: Relisys RE772 Res at: 1280*1024*16

Hard drive: Western Digtel 40gb ata 66 7200 rpm

CD-Rom: Samung 32x

CD-RW: LG 4x4x24x

Speakers: PRO-168-3D

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster PCI Driver Version: 5.12.1.2045

Game Controller: Gravis PC GamePad

Keyboard: Samsung 104 Win98 Keyboard

Mouse: Genius EasyMouse+

Modem: GVC 56.6k PCI V.90 Model: PM560LH

plz reply back

Should work fine. Only thing I see that may cause trouble is that mobo chipset....and that crappy CDR. wink But if 2000 runs well for ya then XP should....theoretically. laugh

You should be allright since you're running win2k now. The boards chipset might be a problem, like DosFreak said but don't expect much bigger problems than the ones you have in win2k with it.

Also do NOT try to upgrade from win2k to XP, it's usually a bad choise.The system is always better with a clean install, unless you really can't be asked to do that.

P.S. If i understood well from your Name in the forums, you are a game fan, so that's good news for you: Installing XP will give you a significant boost in multimedia apps (mainly games)-just hope that Nvidia has made some good work with the drivers.

Quote:

NOT try to upgrade from win2k to XP, it's usually a bad choise.The system is always better with a clean install, unless you really can't be asked to do that.

I upgraded 2 Win2k comps to XP Pro, works great, haven't had any issues.

augh -- the PIII-700 will be more than adequate. I'm running XP Pro just fine on a Celeron-466 w/320meg ram. On a ABit VA-6...

you will have no problems with speed. I've done many an upgrade from 2000 pro without a problem.

Cheers.

Quote:

I upgraded 2 Win2k comps to XP Pro, works great, haven't had any issues.

Didn't say that it isn't going to wirk or it's a bad idea.All i am saying is that clean install is far better for system speed(a bit obvious i think).Now if you have lots of programs installed and can't be asked to backup and reinstall every single program again, then obviously upgrade is the solution.
Regards,

errr..not trying to start anything but..first "it's usually a bad choise" then "Didn't say that it isn't going to wirk or it's a bad idea

anyways, just pointing out that it's not a bad choice, especially if you already have your 2k setup the way you want and don't feel like reinstalling everything or losing any of your settings. As for speedwise i see not difference actually. b'sides 2k-xp isn't really much of a difference kernel wise whereas a 98-2k or 98-xp i would definetly do a clean install

If I can run it fine on the pc of my GF that is a P2 300@378 with 128mb of PC66 ram (at 83Mhz) then... smile