Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zio Matrix

Star Wars: TIE Fighter

I don't have an answer to your question--but just a comiseration: I can't get X-Wing Collectors Edition to run either.

Good luck!

I take it you have tried Program Compatibility Wizard with XP ?

The only other thing would be to make another partition for another O/S(Windows98) just use that for all old games and use XP for other work... laugh

Yep, that seems to be the solution I read the most about. Unfortunately, the thoughtful folks at Hewlett Packard designed my computer in such a way that XP is preloaded and protected on the hard-drive. There's no installation or recovery disk mad so there's no way to put XP back on in order to dual-boot. It's supposed to be self-healing if anything happened to the OS, at least that's what the kind folks at tech support say. (they're very polite about it...but the core message is: forget it.)

Anyone else with XP pre-installed having the same woes?

I used the trick found in the compatibility list. Use QFixApp and select the MapMemoryB0000 fix. Works like a champ. But for some reason I can only go to the high detail level setting; if I choose 3d hardware, as soon as I enter a mission, I crash back to the desktop. BTW, my copy of TIE Fighter is the one from the X-Wing Collectors Edition (X, TIE, and a crippled XvT).

On the XP CD is a program called APCOMPAT.EXE. It's probably on MS's site somewhere as well. Double-click to install. You'll find it installs a program on the Start Menu called QFixApp. Use that to make a app fix for TIE95.exe. You basically browse to the app, choose you're fix(s), and install the fix. I'd give further detailed instructions, but I'm nowhere near an XP box right now. I might even be able to send you the fix as a file. Let me look into it when I get home.

Are you on a IM (ICQ or MSN Messenger?) I might be able to walk you through things after work. Here's the URL for the download on MS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/defa...ompositedoc.xml

Here's a URL describing QFixApp, with some screenshots:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/using/itpro/compatibility/qfixapp.asp

If things still don't seem to be making sense, let me know via the forum, and we'll try to hook up.

nevermind, I just downloaded the file. Now what? My AIM sn is thedeadcarp23,so when you have some free time I could use a little help with that qfiwap thingy.