Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mugen C

McAfee and IE6

Hi There, I am helping my friend to post the following questions, hopefully someone could help me out! Thank you very much! smile

The problems are as followed:

hmm...well, I'm using Win ME right now and I had recently just re-installed IE 6.0 off the Microsoft website, so it basically should be the newest version of IE 6.0 available.

Now as for software, I have McAfee version 6 installed(the most update version too) and it has a firewall along with it.

the strange this is I've given IE 100% permission to access content via the web, and it works for the first 5 ~ 10min. After those 5~10min IE stops working all together, and I can't access any pages at all.

regards,

Mugen C

Why did you mention Mcafee in the question if it's IE that's giving you grief?

Uninstall Mcafee and see if the problems persist.

The firewall is probably blocking outbound access. Lower the firewall, and try to get out. If this works, see if there is a setting that you might have accidentally configured (such as "High" to keep all traffic from traversing the NIC in either direction). If so, see if you can lower it for outbound access, or just refer to the documentation for your firewall software for more information.

As to why it might work for a bit, and then stop, this can be attributed to any delay the program might have before it can be allowed to come online (waiting for the OS to finish loading, waiting for other apps to finish loading, etc). It could also be a corrupted installation that would cause that behavior.

Again, these are basically assuming that you can get out once the firewall is lowered.