Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
reversing_drive

PLEASE HELP!!! I Need Troubleshooting tips for a Win2K Foulu

Hi, i was mucking around with some old software on this CD for NT4.

Amoungst this software was APM2.0 for Win NT, that is Advanced Power Management for NT.

Well we all know Win2K allready has that, i wasn't thinking, damn! Anyway i have a pretty serious problem now, i cannot boot Windows2000, i get as far as the black screen with the progressive white strip along the bottom of the screen, then before i get the Windows2000 logo/boot Screen the screen just goes entirely blue, no text, nothing, disk activity ceases, completley dead.

I Have tried this so far:

Safe mode, same symptoms, no difference frown

Boot of CD and attempt repair, scans the disk for errors and does those three options, checking boot record bla & bla bla...

No luck, makes no difference.

I have access to another computer with Win2K, and am able to couple the HD as a slave and check things out, but how would i go about repairing, i checked out what files have been modified lately and it doesn't really give a clue. What files engage as the Win2K boot Gui pops up? Could i just copy them over?

How can i unistall application from a Win2K install if i am unable to boot it? How do i edit the registry remotley? or in Console mode?

PLEASE, PLEASE any tips are greatly appreciated, i know this forum has great advice. You see i have just spent half a day reinstalling Windows, tweaking, dowloading an Hours worth of updates from Windows & Office updates, & other software updates. Then this just had to happen frown

Here are some of the files which have been created or modified since installing that application. Including some sort of log files with extension .000 & .001

http://www.ozemate.com/help/win2k.exe (Selfextracting Zip)

Or you can download http://www.ozemate.com/help/win2k.zip if you have a suitable extracting utility.

Please if there are any other files which can give any clues please inform me and i'll post them up as well or email them.

Thanks For hearing me out, Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting tips you may have.

You can also email me at reversing_drive@ozemate.com

Cheers,

Curt.

--------------------------------

%% PLEASE DO NOT MODIFY OR DELETE THIS FILE! %%

%% This file contains information about the installation of an application. %%

%% It will be used to automatically remove all application components from your computer if you choose to do so. %%

NOTE: Beginning of the bootstrapper section

CONFIG: Title: "APM 2.0 for NT"

ACTION: TempFile: "C:\WINNT\Setup132.exe"

(File was not found or was an older version -- new file copied)

ACTION: PrivateFile: "C:\WINNT\system32\stkit432.dll"

ACTION: RegKey: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion", "SharedDLLs"

ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINNT\system32\VB40032.DLL"

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINNT\system32\ven2232.olb"

(File currently on disk was already up to date)

ACTION: SystemFile: "C:\WINNT\system32\ctl3d32.dll"

(File currently on disk was already up to date)

ACTION: ExeSelfRegister: "C:\WINNT\Setup132.exe"

NOTE: End of the bootstrapper section

NOTE: Now spawning the main Setup program 'C:\WINNT\Setup132.exe'....

I would try to find where the install.log file would be found, assuming it lays one down. Then I would slave the HDD to the other 2k machine, and locate the file. Make a copy of it, and alter every C:\ entry in the install log to D:\ (or whatever drive letter is assigned to you slaved HDD), and try running an uninstaller like unwise.exe or similar. A search of your any of your HDD's is likely to locate one. Place the exe and the log file into the same folder, and run them. Any files (minus the registry) can be accessed and should remove the offending files. Proviso: I have used this before to remove programs that were annoying, etc, but not APM, so I am not sure this will work.

Hopefully it helps. smile