Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

I'm a sellout!!

I finally did it.

Tonight when I am finished my Lian Li case will have a P4 sticker on it. I am so tired of incompatiblities that I'm swicthing sides.

To top it all off I bought an audigy.

No matter how superior a chip is, it;s the whole platform that you have to consider

I work all week doing this stuff and don't wanna come home but to play games and check email. I dont't enjoy looking for "latency" patches or having to reload XP cause Via makes a crappy product.

This came to a head when I was putting a video capture card in, it just seems like so much trouble to have to patch something 6 times to get something to work.

Sad thing is Im a good tech, and can fix it, but I just dont want too..

Shouldnt have too

i like via also

it is good to have someone for intel to compete with.

via sucks my balls and i will never ever buy anything from them again. However they keep intels prices down by supporting the athlon and make intel chipsets more feature rich. Like intel didn't support ddr ram for the p4 and now they do and that is good.

VIA isn't the only chipset manufacturer that supports AMD processors. ALi makes one that is really good, better than VIA from what I hear. Given the majority of the companies use VIA you can find some ALi based boards (Iwill XP333-R for example).

"Why pay more for less?"

ALi is slowly getting my confidence back from when they first released their Super7 flops that were always crashing (yep, a while ago; I don't forget these things) and giving some of my friends a really hard time. I only used SiS for really cheap 486-Pentium boards a few years ago, and we had about 15% failure rate where the board had to be sent back, but we didn't have too many compatibility issues since the machines were running DOS with telephony cards anyway. The newest SiS chipset looks pretty cool, along with the nForce. I am waiting for a fully functioning and stable chipset to show up AND mature for a bit, but I haven't seen that for the AMD CPUs just yet.

I'd rather take the 10 percent speed decrease over the 20 percent instability.

So far the 845d is rock solid stable, has a plethora (me thinks this means "alot") of features and was so easy to put together it was scarey.

Bottom line is AMD needs to make thier own chipsets, they know thier chips best

AMD so far seems to create a chipset and manufacture it just long enough until Via, SiS, and ALi come out with chipsets to support their cpu's. Nothing wrong with that, but if AMD keeps dropping the ball on Via and everyone else, I don't really see them becoming a viable server solution. I like AMD, but as it stands right now, they don't have anything, other than speed going for them if they refuse to pump out their own chipset and keep it out. They still have a few bugs to work out (760MPX USB issue), but they do have solid chipsets overall. Too bad they're really on their 2nd one the 760 series

Well you know what sold me back on INtel, I was thinking I never have problems with our CAD stations at work , even with Dual Video, Radeons and Geforces most of them, and they are all Intel Based. I just dont see the same problems with them. Ususally user ever, very rarely hardware.

Personally i love amd, and i love what they have done to intel, but they really need someone to make a decent chipset. via is outta the question because i just wont buy there stuff on principal with all the problems they have caused me, sis maybe though, i havent ever used an sis chipset. Ali frown they scared me for life with there socket 7 boards. Anyone have any opinions on the KG7? or any other amd based mobo for that matter? cos i need one to stick a duron 650 into. (must be stable).

I wrote earlier (somewhere) about my experience with the KG7, and that it sucked. It is a hybrid AMD/Via chipset (Via southbridge) and it kept "discovering" a portion of the southbridge over and over again at every boot. It wouldn't reboot at all either, it would just go to a black screen and that was it. This was after we got a replacement CPU as the vendor claimed the CPU was the problem.

Quote:

They still have a few bugs to work out (760MPX USB issue), but they do have solid chipsets overall.

That isn't a bug, that's a miserable engineering/production/quality failure. Only in a high tech industry like this can such a pathetic screw up be considered a "bug" by anybody. It's a component that was supposed to work, but didn't at all. Now, I could see many of the incompatibility issues being bugs, but when a major component just doesn't work at all and requires the use of an add-on card, that would be classified as a failure.

ok then, no kg7, but i need suggestions for a decent not via amd board.

Fic thats what i run it's 97% stable mose of the time the problem i have is that it locks up once and a while and i dunno why

Yup i was leaning towards nforce myself, and the integrated gfx/sound would be perfect for what i need it for.

the fact that amd/via are so popular now says any incompatibility issues will be solved, and more software will be optimised for this hardware.