Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
donald

Help Networking Problems.

Help I just bought a Hub to connect my Laptop and Desktop (both running XP)

on the laptop everything looks good, except it wont access the net or the

desktop the Desktop can access the net, but when I go to view the workgroup

on the desktop I get this message:

"Home is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network

resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have

access permissions

the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

Any Ideas on how to fix this, I am logged in as Admin.

Thanks

Are they both setup as members of the same workgroup?

If you are logging on as admin, is that the admin of the workgroup they both participate in?

What is the IP configuration of the systems on your LAN?

Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled?

hi clutch,

as far as i know they are both set up in the one workgroup, the desktop just wont let me view the workgroup at all (see error message above)

I am logging in as admin of the computer.

No i dont have netbios enabled, should i?

Sorry this is my first network and i am abit confused with it all.

You want NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled, and you want them to be in the same workgroup. Once those are set, make sure both machines are online (just booted on the network) for about 45-55 minutes to make sure that any cycling is done for Network Neighborhood. Then, tell us how it goes.

Might wanna check and see if they can actually see the different IPs. Make srue they are uniform (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) and both computers use the same subnet. After confirming that ping each computer and see if you get a response. If no response, what type of cables are u using? Crossover? Straight through? Is ICS setup on the desktop to share internet?

Hi they have IP's assinged as 192.168.0.1 for the desktop and 192.168.0.2 for the laptop.

I enabled Netbios but that never made any difference, the desktop can ping the laptop okay, but the laptop cant ping the desktop (i think it may be the firewall stopping it.)

It is Cat-5 cable. In My Network Places, I cant see the desktop from the laptop, and on the desktop I cant see the laptop frown

Thanks

A firewall would stop it smile In fact that is what it sounds like. What firewall are you using? If it's Zone Alarm lower the internal zone security settings to Medium.

The firewall will can internal NetBIOS traffic, so you might want to try adjusting or even temporarily dropping your firewall to see if the machines will talk to each other.

thanks guys figured it out, I had to give special permission to the internal IP addy so the firewall would allow connections.