Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
susan

Railroad Tycoon II

When I launch Railroad Tycoon II on WinXP Home Edition, a message box appears that says

---------------------------

Incorrect version of Windows

Sorry, not supported on Windows NT.

OK

I tried all compatibility modes but they do not help. I even wrote the manufacturer but they replied only, that they don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

sounds like a common response from the manufacturer, the only thing i can tell you is to wait around here until someone like "DosFreak" tries to help you, i have had no experience with Railroad Tycoon 2, although someone submitted results for that game and Windows 2000 saying that it worked but recieved error messages, maybe that person would be so kind as to post a fix or a work-around for you. Sorry i couldn't help.

Hey Susan,

Are you still having problems?...I'm running RT2 on my XP machine no problem. Question for you...did you install RT2 on WinXP or did you install XP over an already installed RT2?

You also may want to try installing the latest patch to RT2 if you haven't already. www.gamespot.com has it. v1.05...I think.

Also forget using compatibility modes...it doesn't work. Maybe MS will fix that in SP1.

I've not tried RT2 on XP yet, but it rokked under Win2k sp2.

Are you sure you have a *retail* (wink, wink) version?

Hmmm, My original Railroad Tycoon 2 and the Gold Edition work fine in 2000/XP without any patching or compatibility fixes whatsoever. Have you tried to update the game yet? Also what version gave you this error?

Oh and guys. Just because I utterly despise Windows XP does not mean that I don't test game compatibility out in it. wink

Hi - I too have just bought a brand new(?) made up machine from TIME computers, and I too get the message Susan got. Does the patch mentioned earlier work?

Wahey - it works really well! - not only that but the patch appears to have installed some very subtle changes.

Just make sure that you put all the files into the same drive/folder as the RRII programme.

Many thanks - Great result!!!!!!

SDJR

both rt II and gold edition ran fine for me on both win 2k, adn XP smile

dunno what to suggest.

fresh format, and get all XP udpates...?

I am having trouble on XP SP1 , too.

But my version won't even install, the install shield engine EXE just crashes, no matter what I try.

I had the same problem, i.e. the Railraod Tycoon 2 installer crashing under Windows XP (SP2). After some poking around I found a solution that worked for me:

1. Check if the file c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt exists. If not, search the hard drive for it and copy it to the c:\windows\system32\ directory.

2. Do the same for config.nt.

The Microsoft KB article that lead me in this direction is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305521

Good luck!

/Martin

Cool. It works like a charm momander. I've tried to install rrtc II on XP since XP came out...no success. Then I copy my autoexec.nt to system32 directory, and it's all sorted out.

Thanks for posting the solution here smile

Hey guys, I'm new here.

I try and install RT2 Gold on Win XP SP2 and it all installs correctly but then when I try and load it up the initial loading RT2 Gold screen comes up then disappears... and nothing. No program running, nothing.

Any ideas?

Ok, for all you RT2 fans out there who can't get it to work under Windows Xp (SP2) I've found the solution... Hallelujah!

Create a shortcut to the exe file on your desktop (or somewhere). Right click on the shortcut and go properties. There should be a compatability tab there. Click "Run this program in compatability mode for" and select an operating system to try.

Mine didn't work for Windows 98/ME but it did for Windows 2000. Keep going until you find one that works.

Hope it helps!!! smile

Hope it helps