Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PorscheFlatSix

MANDRAKE 9 Dualboot Dummy Question

This would be my first time trying out linux to see how good it is. I have all 3 Mandrake 9.0 CDs ready for install but before I install them I have a couple quick questions that I'd like to clear to avoid any possibility of a problem.

Question 1: If I were to create a new partition on my HD, is there any way possible in the setup to setup linux on that new partition?

Question 2: If possible to install Mandrake Linux to the new partition, could it run as a seperate OS and not conflict with the boot sector of WindowsXP Professional? Because from what I've heard from friend's experiences with installing linux in the past, is that it sometimes messes up the boot portion of windows and messes up your windows partition. Would there be any risk that Mandrake Linux 9.0 would mess up bootup so that I would not get the Dualboot screen on bootup and could not choose which OS to boot from on bootup (the screen where you get the choice between WINXP Pro or Mandrake9 on bootup).

I'd like to know the answers to these questions before I go ahead and install Linux because I'd rather be safe than sorry. laugh

Question 1: yes

Question 2: Yes, and depends on how you set it up. The preferred way is to let Mandrake install either grub or lilo to the MBR or you can install them to the first sector of the partition and let (ugh) the windows booloader boot to it. Though I'm not sure how to tell the windows boot loader to do this.

Don't install GRUB or LILO to the MBR, or you'll never be able to get to XP again. Install it to your first partition /boot, or whatever you've named it. Make sure you create a boot diskette when you install Linux, and when you're done, use that to boot the OS. There's a way to copy the location of the boot sector in Linux so that Windows Boot Loader will see it on startup. Try the instructions from this website. http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00011.asp Pay special attention to the "I'll Give You A Boot" section.

Right, well the good news is, your Idea is possible, i run a Dual-boot Xp/Mandrake9 system. Here is how i did it.

1. Install Windows frown

2. Install Linux :x

3. When installing Linux make sure Boot Loader goes in /Hda and not Hda2/3/4/5/6/7 etc. And everything will work as planned, pick your OS at boot time, for your purposes I would recommend setting Windows as default boot during installation, have fun!

Graham McMaster

Who said that by installing GRUB/LILO won't let him see his 1st OS again ?

Tip : If you wanna keep 1st's OS multiconfig try with a win98 boot cd by starting pc with cdrom support ( not setup but just in dos prompt) and try

( no xp boot cd cause there's no dos , but cmd only ) saved my a*s couple of times

: fdisk /mbr ( mbr=master boot record ) and then the only that stays is your 1st OS

You can create then from your distro as well to see again both 1st n' 2nd OS

Farewell friend

i now use two seperate computers now. but when I was booting both linux and windows on the same box. i used separate hard drives. it made for less headaches for me. the drive that held windows was partitioned and the c partition was ntfs and the rest of the drive was fat32 and linux was on another physical drive. I kept my mp3's and anything else of interest on the fat32 partition so i could get to them from my linux drive I know that is not what he is trying to get help with but hard drives are pretty cheap and it will be alot easier for him. just adding my 2 cents

ron

Yeah, ignore Mksoccer's comment. I have set up dual boot with Windows 98, 2000, and XP, with LiLo in the mbr on each, with no problems whatever. laugh

I've got Windows XP and Mandrake 9.2 as a dual boot with no problem. I had Windows XP already installed. I used PartitionMagic software to create free unallocated unpartitioned space on my hard-drive (ie. my 40GB hard-drive with Windows became 35GB Windows and 5GB unallocated space).

When I stuck in the Mandrake CD1 and booted (after setting up the computer BIOS to boot from the CD) Mandrake automatically detected the unallocated space on the hard-drive and installed itself without a hitch. Following the Automatic or Default Mandrake install options.

Everytime I turn the machine on, I am presented with a screen which indicates that Mandrake will boot-up within 7 or 8 seconds - during that time you can highlight other options (eg Fail-safe mode) one of which will be Windows. Highlight it using the up / down arrow keys (this also stops the 8 second countdown) and hit the 'Enter' key. Windows will then boot up as normal. My only problem now is that I can't connect to the internet......... http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4490#4490