Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rig

Dial up connection: Non operational

I have a problem with Windows XP Pro.

I can connect to the Internet OK but sometimes after I have disconnected and then re-connect to the Internet (Using 56K PCI Modem) I cannot browse, ping, Email etc.

If I check Windows Task Manager - Networking I can see my current connection but also my old connection listed, but under STATE it's listed as "Non operational"

I have to restart my computer to get the connection working again.

I have tried different modem drivers, different users etc.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem bu with an ADSL PPPoE connection.

My ISP disconnect me every 24 hour and I have to reboot to have any packet coming or outcoming, even if the connection seems OK.

I just found that if I shutdown ZoneAlarmPro BEFORE the disconnection, when reconnecting eveything is OK.

Shutting down ZoneAlarmPro after disconnect do just nothing.

I feel there is a problem with ZA but cannot find where.

ZA pro : shutdown ZoneAlarmPro Version 2.6.362

Do you use ZA also ?

I do have zone alarm (nor pro) V2.6.362 installed!

This morning, after the disconnect reconnect of this night, as I shutdowned ZA yesterday, my ftp server was working as ICQ and Messenger, but, no web browsing... DNS resolve was out. I disconnect and reconnect manually and it was working again.

So ZA seems to be involved somewhere into that problem but I feel it's not the only one.

Also I had to install the RasPPPoE driver instead of the built in PPPoE support, as when connecting just after booting, the dial up cannot get an answer from the adsl modem.

I recommend this small and well written PPPoE driver for everybody with PPPoE adsl on 98 w2k or XP.

Anybody has an idea of what is wrong with XP ?

(read somewhere to put energy saving on Always On but it changed nothing for me)

I experienced the same thing as you did klona (yesterday infact) My Peer to peer connection was working properly and my ICQ aswell but I could not brows or ping... I had to restart my comp too to get it working... hmm...

About you having to shut down ZA everytime, can't you make a makro that (or schedule)shuts the ZA off and on again afterwards? and why would your con go down after 24h? that seems really bad? What does your ISP say about this? It surely can't be a normal thing can it?

my isp (Wanadoo) disconnect every 24H , changing IP in the same time...

My ISP do not support me as I did not use their CD install with tons of third party **** but did manually configure my connection.

Everything was OK on w2k.

Surely there is a trick to know there, on XP or/and on ZA

I have removed Zonealarm and not had any problems since!

So it seems the problem may be related to ZoneAlarm somehow?

Hi,

I have had similar problems after a disconnection - but not all the time.

It seems that windows was keeping old routing information (netstat -r) attributed to the WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface. So after a reconnection the routing was screwed. Need a reboot to clear it.

I removed the Remote assistant patch Q311889 - it hasn't happened since, co-incidence???

I preferred to keep zonealarm!!

I'm Scared!!!!!

sorry scrap that - just happened again - I thought after nearly a week I had found a fix.

Back to the drawing board I suppose

I'm scared!!!!

same here. Working now since my last post, but as I did nothing it's surely not fixed.

Perhaps it's a problem in ZA when the range of IP changes, but it do it only once.

My ISP has something like 5 or 6 diferent ranges of IP.

Perhaps I did every range now...

Not very scientific I know, but it's always difficult with aleatory problems.

If your motherboard supports ACPI it is possible your computer allows your networking interface to be turned off to save power. My work computer is not ACPI so I can not quote exactly where to find these settings, but I'm fairly sure it's under the device properties in the device manager. If you disable that, it could alleviate the problems you're having.

It's fairly different, but at my work, we've had problems with network/db connections being lost when the hard drive spins down on win95/98 machines. When this happens, the connection will not reset until you reboot. Perhaps this could affect things as well?

/L.A

Sorry to resurrect this topic back up, but I decided to look for my problem before starting a new thread and guess I'm not the only one. I also have ZoneAlarm 2.6.362 and after about 2 disconnects I can no longer check anything on the Internet after I connect to my ISP. I connect but I don't receive any data, http, smtp, ftp, all transfers are shot. Has anyone tried the new ZoneAlarm 3 Beta or come up with some fix? My friend with dial in DSL also has this problem (I am on a 56k connection)

Location of the ACPI/NIC settings:

In your Network Connections, Right click the specific connection > Properties > Configure > Power Management

There should be 2 or 3 selections in there if your using ACPI. Uncheck them all. I don't have any of them checked, and I don't seem to have any of the problems your describing.....but I don't use Zone Alarm.

Hope it helps ya !!

Klark

seems quite easy, and it works for me now on XP Pro. I had the same problem as all above and tried and tried, until yesterday I found what was happening.

You can keep ZA running, even on High security with all ports you wish to block, no problem.

BUT disable the Windows XP Firewall on each connection. After you've done that, reboot, and everything should run fine.

Elly

That doesn't seem to be it. I checked all my connections in Network connections and none have the ICF option ticked. Is there some other place this may be checked?

I've shutdown zonealarm and no longer have this problem. I am resorting to Blackice frown I'll have to check ZA again when version 3 is out of beta.

Yes same here. Still the problem.

From my tests;

- Not acpi related (changing option on NIC do not remove the problem)

- Not related to PPPoE XP driver (my ADSL connection use that) as I have the same problem with RasPPPoE (but dialing faster and immediatly on XP starting)

- Not related to XP firewall as problem occurs when it's enabled or disable

- Directly related to ZA Pro 2.6.362 as problem disappears when ZA is uninstalled (in my case, simply disable it was not enough)

But as my ZA is ...humm... let's say... still... officially... Evaluation :-)... I cannot contact ZA to ask for support.

Does Ne1 has a registered version of ZA and can ask about that to their support?

OK. I put the new Zone Alarm 3.0 which is really an improvment to the 2.x and guess what ?

Not anymore any trouble to connect !

it's working perfectly now for 10 days, disconnect-reconnect with DNS resolve working and so on.

by the way, za3 install file is able to update a 2.x installation and the 2.x keys are ok with 3.0 version.

Enjoy