For all you DSL/Cable guys

Check out www.no-ip.com.

It allows you to setup up a host name and have it redirect to your ip

address. It also has a program that checks your ip address and

automatically updates your host name.

For example, I registered ***.no-ip.org. So when I FTP into my

box, I can now use ***.no-ip.org instead of my IP address. Plus if

my IP changes, it will update my host name automatically. smile

Nice link. smile I have been using www.tzo.com for the last couple of years and found them to be quite reliable, but this one that you have listed is cheaper than them. Also, Lactic.Acid showed me www.everydns.net a little while ago, and they are actually free.

Yeah, but mine is better =p

It also allows multiple domains in one account, sub-domain DNS, "web hop" for those of us with port 80 blocked, and has a PERL script for dynamic IP up[censored].

/L.A

Or you could just spend the $35 /yr and register your OWN domain name.

I'll sell my ancker.net for 10 Grand...(not really)

But registering is so cheap...i've seen $15 /yr at some places..

and you can have as many sub domains you want...

and i also recommend zoneedit.com for all of your DNS needs.

Ancker

Whether you have a domain name registered or not doesn't matter. These services provide DNS functionality and features. Most domain name registrars only provide rudimentary DNS service (ie. you input your IP, or you enter the DNS entries for your host) whereas these services allow a wide variety of things, from "generic-name.domain.com" to point at your PC, to a domain name pointed at your pc, to MX setup for DNS to run a mail server, to web hopping (EveryDNS does this, and this would be used to point somewhere like www.geocities.com/blah/blah) etc. etc. Not to mention the ability to automatically update your IP address if your ISP re-allocates IP addresses.

Incidentally, EveryDNS has renamed themselves to EveryBox, expanding (or planning on future expansion) into further services. You can reach them at www.everydns.net still, or http://www.everbox.com. These guys are definitely worth a look...

/L.A