Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

List the problems you have had with XP :) :)

And maybe in the process we can all help each other out with having to have a service pack smile

It doesnt like my SCSI controller, WinRoute no longer seems to work with it and that crappy interface is on by default when it clearly should be the classic one.

...other then that I like it.

BSOD with every Detonator that I could try. Switched to ATI Radeon and all is well. Combat Flight Simulator won't work although it worked fine with 2000.

Otherwise I like it.

Cynan, Winroute 5.x due out in Dec/Jan will be XP certified from what I have heard.

I too had problems with the Detonator drivers under WinXP.

In fact all of the Detonator XP drivers caused problems of some description from BSOD's to random crashes.

I was using the 12.41 Win2k drivers for ages until the latest 23.11 drivers were released.

The 23.11's are excellent, stable, fast and I haven't had a single BSOD or unexpected crash since installing them.

I have always been very critical of NVidia's driver efforts, they tend to sacrafice stability and image quality for performance and benchmark scores, however the 23.11's are a great package.

I hate error reporting, it's the first thing i disabled. I got errors after every reboot.

But other than that no probs.

So far I haven't had any problems that are actually due to Windows XP. I'm a bit ticked at the fact that Philips still hasn't released XP drivers for my Seismic Edge sound card. But, beyond that, everything is great. And, I've learned never to buy anything made by Philips ever again. smile

My main problem was blue screens... (i say "WAS" because i've decided to go back to the almighty Win2k, after becoming fed-up with XP). Some of my blue screens were caused by detonators, but I had just as many caused by other problems. I have had the same problems over two fresh installations of XP. I have all good hardware..Crucial, Asus, Nvidia, IBM, Sound Blaster and am using all the "XP compatible" drivers... so i'm unsure.

Anyways, that has been my biggest problem.. blue screens. I have many other problems with the OS, but I've complained about them enough on this board. I'm back in Win2k now so I'm once again a happy camper.

Atreyu, does your ASUS motherboard use a VIA chipset? If so, you've listed two major culprits of bluescreens in XP: VIA chipsets and Nvidia video cards. So far, these two companies have been unable to produce consistently stable drivers for many of their products unde Windows XP. Surprisingly, the problems Windows 2000 was plagued with due to the Sound Blaster Live! seem to have been fixed in XP. Though it may also have contributed to your problems.

Nope, I will never touch Via or AMD hardware :-). I'm all Intel, all the time.

No XP probs at all. The only problem i had was using POS crucial ram. I switched my RAM over to kingston and all is good now. Overclockability is back where with the POS crucial ram i couldn't go higher than 2 FSB clocks over 133 or the ram would crap out on me. I have my CPU running at 1.428 right now with a 10.5 and 140mHZ bus and everything is back to normal with my good old Kingston ram.

The only 'problem' if you would call it that is that the taskbar loses the icons in it when its on the side of my desktop when "Lock Taskbar" is checked.

Atreyu,

Maybe you can give us a little more information as to the hardware setup you had when you were experiencing all your problems?

The reason I ask is that I am yet to see any Intel based system give even a small percentage of the errors you experienced (with the exception of badly written NVidia drivers).

You list a few hardware manufacturers that you use components from, so I'm interested how close it was to my configuration before I upgraded last.

I was running WinXP on the following setup:

ASUS CUSL2-C-BP, 2x 256MB Crucial DIMM's, PIII 1Ghz, GeForce II Ultra, IBM 60GXP HD's, SB Live! Value.

From the list of manufacturers you gave and the fact you have an Intel system I can't help feeling we did have very similar configurations, a configuration I had no problems with except NVidia drivers as I said in an earlier post (12.91 drivers then 23.11 was the only way I could get a stable setup).

Our setup is nearly identical. Here's mine:

Asus CUSL2-C

2 Sticks of Crucial 256MB SDRAM Unbuffered (Crucial Rules!!)

Pentium III 1GHZ @ 1.12GHZ 7.5X150mhz --> notice the FSB ThC laugh

Sound Blaster Live! Value

InnoVision GeForce 2 GTS 32MB

IBM 40GB ATA/100 7200RPM

SMC 10/100MB NIC

Acer 36X CDROM

Microsoft Natural Keyboard

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

ViewSonic PS790 Monitor

Um.... I've tried pretty much all the Detonators, I was using the latest XP drivers release from Creative, and as far as all my other hardware, I just use the native drivers.

I ran checkdisks and the like to see if there were errors on the drive, which didn't help. I ran some memory tests, and no problems surfaced. I scanned for viruses on all my machines... none (and yes, i'm updated). I could come up with no explaination as to why I've been having these problems other than the pre-mature stage of many available drivers. I mean, it would blue screen while I was asleep, watching tv... I didn't have to be sitting behind it stressing it out (or myself for that matter). Anyways, the Simpsons are about to come on now so I'll be back in an hour.

The specs of my old machine and yours are very similar indeed.

Did all the same errors happen when your CPU wasn't over-clocked?

Other than that, I just steared clear of the manufacturer specific detonator releases and went straight to www.nvidia.com for my drivers (Gainward weren't too bad at posting new drivers, but it was a lot more simple to get them from NVidia).

But, as I said the Detonator XP drivers up until the last release were a nightmare, no doubt about it.

Maybe you should give XP another go now the 23.11's are available.

Also, if not tried before, a non over-clocked system.

i'm running windows xp pro with latest patches

i tried winxp drivers and windows 2000 beta drivers

it will dial-up and i can go to websites

and if it leave the computer up for a long time then when i go back onto the internet to play UT, no websites will work.. it will come up with errors saying 404

i have to reboot to get it to work again ...how do i fix it ??

my modem is at this page > its under the one that says MD 0241 http://www.gvc.ca/products/internal_modems/intmodem_pci-specs.html

That's the one thing I didn't try.. non-overclocking. I heard that Windows XP is picky about it, but I know another guy on this board who has his PIII chip overclocked a lot further than mine with no problems. I do plan on giving it another try after the first service pack comes out... which I hear is the end of January.

All of my VIA problems got fixed with that PCI latency patch. The only problem I have with Windows XP is NETBEUI support. I can't use it for Direct Connections across Parallel, this was the only way I could get Win9x and WinNT to talk to each other over a parallel connection.

Also games perform a tad slower, but that will improve as driver updates concentrate on WinXP.

That's odd, games performed quite a bit faster for me. I gained 20+ fps in Quake 3 alone.

i have installed xp on 3 different machines, all with nvidia/amd/via combo and have YET to see blue screens..but then again i don't have sb live in any of the system. maybe that's where the problem lies since sb live was a big prob in 2k as well. (i'm just tired of everyone blaming via.) only problem i've had is with counterstrike, it'll open up with just 1/4 of the screen, i'll just press esc. click done, disconnect, then play cs, connect and it works again. oh, only crash i've had was with cs too. i had my pc running for 18days with apache and ftp server and played cs. crashed, oh well.. 18days isn't bad for a microsoft box :P

A game only opening in quarter screen before you close it and run it again sounds just like a graphics driver issue - good old NVidia smile

I have installed it many times on systems with SBLive! variants (Value and MP3+) without any issues. I have also used just the drivers and the liveware in these systems at different times to see if that would affect them. Personally, I used to suspect it was his RAM and the level he was overclocking it, but he has moved on to Crucial (which is was I use) so I am not sure anymore. It *could* be graphics related; what driver version are you using?

As for blaming Via, that's just easy. The only system that I have problems with at work is Via-based (that now makes 2-for-2), and it has excellent components and no overclocking at all. Good thing it's getting replaced soon. Also, he did mention that his system was running the i815 chipset and was not a Via-based mobo, so all the Via fans can rejoice...

wink

I blamed VIA, because it was a problem with their chipsets. Quake3 and other games were stuttering so bad without that PCI Latency Patch. At first I thought it was mouse lag, but it wasn't, it was the chipset. I just know that I won't use a VIA chipset next time around.

three, I'm not saying all VIA solutions cause problems under Windows XP. But many of them are prone to them. The latest 4-in-1s seem to resolve the problems for most of their chipsets. The majority of the problems I've seen revolve around VIA and Nvidia, though. Once their XP drivers mature, I'm sure these issues will be dealt with.

The main reason that these two companies have had such compatibility issues with XP is there resistance in working with Microsoft. Even after Nvidia won the Xbox contract, they've still decided to only accept Microsoft's assistance peripherally. And VIA pretty much refuses to work with anyone. While companies such as ATI and Intel have had a good deal of success with XP because of their working relationship with Microsoft. Heck, even AOL has been working very closely with Microsoft to resolve issues.

Error afetr error. Some days everything works fine. Others, I get errors. Mostly on Bootup or when I switch users.

Here's the error :

"BCCode : 50 BCP1 : E2FD6008 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BFB8AE66

BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1 "

The error will happen a bunch of times in a row and then go away.

I have installed updated drivers for everything, Reformatted and reinstalled windows, ran SIMMTESTER checks on my RAM(passed all tests) Tested ALL hardware in my other PC runnin XP and all hardware is functioning fine.

My setup:

Abit KR7A Raid

1.33 Athlon

512Mb Corsair PC2400

SB Live!

3Com 10/100 Ethernet

GF3 Ti200

I know what everyone is going to say. Via chipsets and Nvidia have issues...well WHATEVER. I ran the same darn setup on my other PC with XP and still PROBLEMS. I ran every piece of hardware in another PC with VIA chipset and still error problems. I ran the same setup on a board with ALI chipset and same probems. So I guess ALI and Nvidia have problems too...well MAYBE just MAYBE WINDOS Microcrust is the problem and they just liek to point the finger at other companies. I have searched the MIcrosoft Database for help and nothing there. I have submitted these errors to their support team and NO HELP. They already have my money so why would they care what problems I have now. If I go back to Win98se I can guarntee that Microsoft will be refunding my money for this POS OS XP.

Mike, sorry I was venting and got carried away.