Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ok_interested

how to make mediaplayer 8 default player for online streamin

whenever i play online streaming content, it uses the 6.4 media player instead of the newer 7.1 or (8.0 in xp) i know its using 6.4 because if you right click on the window and choose about. it shows that its using 6.4 and not one of the newer media players.

so my question is how do you get windows to stop using 6.4 and instead use the newer versions, when it comes to online streaming content?

i know that both the 7.1 and 8 versions do work with online streaming if you manually insert the url into the program.. but what i want to do is for these newer players to become the default online streaming players for the microsoft internet explorers either 5.5 or 6. which right now they obviously are not.

i have no idea why the 6.4 is still even on a windows xp or 2k or me system as its old win95 software.

Open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types, look for WMx extensions and change default program.

Windows Media Player will work as a gateway to the Internet if you click Media Guide in the vertical panel of options on the left. It defaults to the site http://www.windowsmedia.com on launch. To turn it off, choose Tools, Options, Media Player tab, clear Start Player In Media Guide.

If Windows Media Player is in skin mode, press Ctrl+1 to reach full mode. To have Windows Media Player’s menu bar appear, press Alt key. Open the File menu. If Work Offline is checked, choose this command to clear the check mark and go back online.

thanks for the advice wolf87 so far its the best advice i have been given..

unfortunately i had already thought of changing the default program for wm* extensions , in the folder options file types..

I also thought as you mentioned would have helped.. assuming that probably there were file extensions that were associated with the old player.. unfortunately they are all already associated with the newer player. which is what is really starting to get frustrating, in that i have no idea where now to go and change the newer media player to default player.

I still think microsoft is stupid for leaving in the old media player and making it default over the new one, for online streaming. thats just plain stupid.

any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.