Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ok_interested

Replace Mediaplayer 6 with 7 for online streaming?

Hello i was wondering if anyone can tell me how i replace windows mediaplayer 6 with 7, what i mean is that when i am opening an online streaming source ( like yahoo news or some other news sites that use mediaplayer) instead of mediaplayer 7 poping up and playing the stream, the old windows mediaplayer 6.4 plays it.

why is this? shouldent the new mediaplayer play the online stream? why is the old mediaplayer even still in use why wasent it replaced?

im pretty sure i once read somthing on this somewhere, but i cant find this info now, on how to have winmediaplayer 7 replace 6. i have checked several microsoft pages and still no luck. so maby one of you guys know how to do this, or can point me in the right direction to find this information.

Thanks.

Ok this is a shot in the dark but it isnt just media player 7 using the old media player 6 skin is it? Cos it has a skin just like that.

whenever i play online streaming content, it uses the 6.4 media player instead of the newer 7.1 or (8.0 in xp) i know its using 6.4 because if you right click on the window and choose about. it shows that its using 6.4 and not one of the newer media players.

so my question is how do you get windows to stop using 6.4 and instead use the newer versions, when it comes to online streaming content?

i know that both thed 7.1 and 8 versions do work with online streaming if you manually insert the url into the program.. but what i want to do is for these newer players to become the default online streaming players for the microsoft internet explorers either 5.5 or 6. which right now they obviously are not.

i have no idea why the 6.4 is still even on a windows xp or 2k or me system as its old win95 software.

WMP 6.4 is the default player for streaming media because it uses the same codecs as the newer players, it is a much smaller program, and the newer players don't offer you any advantages when dealing with streaming media.

Quote:

the newer players don't offer you any advantages when dealing with streaming media.

well actually the new players do offer advantages.. the one that i mainly want to take advantage of is the adjustment of brightness and contrast. that is somthing you cant do with 6.4, yet you can do with 7.1 and 8 players.

not to mention a whole lot of other advantages such as sound adjustments ect..

so there is a reason for wanting to have 7 and 8 as default instead of the cheapo 6.4

therefore if anyone else knows how to acheive this . please let me know . thanks, for all the help so far.