Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mak-uk

Synchronising Files

Hi

I have a laptop and a desktop PC which are networked using a standard 100MB RJ45 cross-over cable.

Suppose I want to store a copy of 'My Documents' on both machines. If I work on one machine and the files are updated, I would like the updated on the second machine when I connect them up. I have gotten this work in a simplex manner (ie. one way) using 'offline folders'. However, I want it to work both ways for either machine.

How do I do that? I have looked into Briefcase but it seems confusing.

Thanks.

Mak.

Nothing confusing about briefcases:

Set up a briefcase folder on your laptop, copy the files from the desktop into the briefcase across the network, and voila! Instant briefcase.

To synchronise the files, all you need to do is right click the briefcase, select "Update all", and follow the dialog boxes that appear.

I think (something is bubbling up from the depths of my memory) that XP may do the synching automagically, but I couldn't tell you how to do that - I don't network my PCs at home, only at work wink

AndyF

So in that case the main files are initially on the desktop?

What about if I change something on the files on the desktop pc and I want them to be updated on the laptop?

Yes, the files will reside on the desktop, with synched copies on the laptop - if that's the way you want it, but there's nothing to stop you setting up the briefcases the other way around (files on the laptop, briefcase on the desktop)

Up[censored] the briefcase synchronises in both directions - it copies updated file on the desktop to the laptop, and updated files on the laptop back to the desktop.

The only problem occurs if you've updated a file on both machines, but you'll get given the option of what to do in that case.

Hope this help,

AndyF