Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cynan

Adpatec 2940AU + Yamaha CRW4260.

*sigh*

Now I'm not gonna pretend I know what I'm doing here, because truth be known I don't. I've heard a lot about various different SCSI configs. and how they are set up, but I've always been a lil hazy on the whole thing. So I'll just describe what I have, what I've tried, and whats going on... hopefully someone can help me smile

I have an Adpatec AHA-2940AU SCSI card connected to a Yamaha CRW4260 CDRW drive. Termination on the card is set to automatic, a parity jumper is set on the drive and the termination jumper is off.

Now with this setup I've been able to use the drive for reading and writing in Windows 9x/ME and NT/2K with no problems. Now that I come to use Windows XP, I suddenly get Event 11 error messages in the event viewer ("The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1").

The weird thing is that Nero would let me burn VCDs no problem, but not data CDs.

So after messing around with setting the termination to enabled on the card and placing a jumper on the drive and getting no where. I decided to reinstall XP and give a flesh install ago (I previously did an upgrade from 2K).

This time I couldn't burn at all. Tried with termination on and off again, but nothing. So I installed the ASPI layer and I got back to where I was in the first place. I can burn VCDs, but no data CDs, but this time with a difference.

If I have termination off, I don't get the Event 11 error anymore but instead I get an occasional Event 51 ("An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom2 during a paging operation"). With it enabled, I get Event 11 again.

Still though, I can only burn VCDs... whats with that? surely I should be able to burn a CD or not. At this point in time I'm seriously thinking of scrapping any future thoughts of going total SCSI and just stick with IDE - least it works ! (well never failed me anyway).

Oh I also updated the fireware on my drive too, just to check if that fixed it. No dice.

So. At this point I'm gonna follow up any leads, no matter how trival! I don't want to buy a new drive, but I'm seriously considering it (an IDE one at that!).

Thanks for any help (I need it),

--Cynan.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Nero.

I don't use it, simple as that.

However what I do know about is SCSI configurations, my home system has a SCSI CDRW/DVD-ROM/ZIP Drive sub-system so I'm very used to SCSI.

You need termination at each end of the chain as I'm sure you are aware.

If the SCSI card and the CDRW are the only devices on the SCSI chain both devices want to be set to termination On.

I also know a little about Yamaha SCSI CDRW drives, I've owned two (on my second one now).

Check the Firmware revision of your drive.

Win2k/XP is very picky about Firmware revisions on hardware.

My old Yamaha drive couldn't even be seen in Win2k without a Firmware upgrade.

I have the latest(?) firmware for the drive, 1.0q... termination is on atm... same old, same old frown

Is it me or does this suck.

Oh I have an update, I *THINK* the difference between it working or not, is if I use Disc-At-Once (succeeds), or Track-At-Once (fails).

But why ?

Nah, it's not just you, it sucks smile

Trivial, well, how about trying a different SCSI cable?

Could be worth a try if you have one handy.

O'kay I'll give it ago. I don't actually have a spare, but I'm willing to go and buy one for the hell of it.

One other thing of note, is that an error Nero gives me when it fails with track-at-once is, "Invalid Block Address". I don't know why I didn't mention that before. I guess it slipped my mind.

Thanks for your help so far, appreciated. smile

Well, it's snowing outside so you could pick a window and throw it in the general direction of the white stuff smile

I guess it's possible we've found one of the only hardware devices that are fine under Win2k but not so under WinXP.

Something only a Firmware upgrade would fix, a firware upgrade that will never appear as I'm sure Yamaha class that as a sidcontinued model.

I'm interested to know if it's just your system that's causing the problem or possibly the SCSI controller.

Any mates with either a WinXP system you can plug it into?

Any mates with a different make/model SCSI card you can try?

I have seen the same thing on a Plextor CDRW 4220 and 2940UW. It has got to be XP. Something to do with the Autoplay function I would guess.. Even with the event log errors, my drive would read/burn fine. Guess it is a fix for Service pack 1 ? Imagine bundling cut down Roxio software with XP for built in burning when they could even get the full version working without several "Workarounds" ?

ITS FIXED! YES!

I saw the new Adaptec ASPI drivers and installed those, removed the older 2K ones that the README says were no longer required, and now it all works! WOO F'IN HOO ! (Excuse me there, just a bit happy!).