Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

Nero 5.5.6.1 memory leak?

I experience weirdness with the latest from Nero...

I burn a CD @ 12x, and when I look at my resources I have 3 MB RAM free out of 512 (well after boot it settles to around 400). Anyways, even the task manager takes forever to show up.

After the burn process is done, and Nero is closed, my RAM is back.

I wouldn't call it a "leak" therefore, but rather a "hog". Anyone experienced this at all?

I have used older versions, and found them to be hogs when I am performing a burn, but then again I dedicate a separate system for burning CDs. Are there any other applications that you are trying to run at the same time? Any virus scanners running in the background?

NAV 2002 is running in the background, auto-protect. And yes I'm trying to run IE or anything else, like windows explorer and it takes forever to open.

Weird.

i think it's rather normal with nero products. whenever i use nero to burn CDs at 12x, it takes up quite a bit of RAM (my comp usually uses about 450MB itself after bootup, then the usage goes above 700MB easily, sometimes over a GB). i'm guessing it probably tries to use as much RAM as possible for caching the data, thus minimizing chance of buffer underrun. As long as I get those RAM back, I'm happy smile

I guess you could be right. I didn't try to change the default "cache" configuration that Nero uses, in other words limit the buffer that it needs.

I don't use Nero, but I noticed that when burning with BlindWrite my ram uses has risen by 200mb. I'm only using 123Mb right now, and that's WITH ICQ and Norton antivirus (autoprotect) running. I'm not worried when it rises, just found it very strange.