Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
punkisdead

Nvidia drivers break Xfree 4.2.1 in debian Sid

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on this one. If you use the nvidia drivers from nvidia and have upgraded xfree to version 4.2.1.....

Anytime you try to logout, reboot, or switch to any virtual terminal it completely freezes up your machine!!!!

frown

Doesn't happen with Mandrake Linux 9....

Anyway XFree86 4.3 will be released sometime in January - an important and interesting upgrade. Guess I'll wait until then smile .

yup, i used the latest drivers, actually tried about three different versions of the drivers, all with the same result. But when I went back to the nv driver from xfree the problem disappeared. Very strange indeed.

I have a Riva TNT2 Video Card (AGP), and Mandrake 9.0. When I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers with XFree 4.2.1, everything seemed fine until I started XWindows. It showed the NVIDIA boot logo, and just sat there. I gave it half an hour, and tried to exit using every different key combo I could think of. Finally, I hard reset the computer, and when it started to come back up I got a kernel panic and ended up having to reinstall the whole OS. Any suggestions, tips, useful observations? I followed the NVIDIA installation instructions to the letter. I know my video card sucks, but I'm in college, I just got engaged, and I don't have extra money to spend on stuff like that (yet). Thanks for any and all help!

Feel free to IM me if you have any tips, cause I might not check the boards for another couple of days.