Sign in to follow this  
stephman

WinXP and IIS/Personal Web Server

Im going to be installing WinXP soon.

Right now I'm using InterDev and some Dreamweaver with Win98

using Personal Web Server for my local building and testing before

uploading my work to my web host.

I apologize if I'm posing this question incorrectly, but

Which web server is included, if any at all with WinXP?

If any is included, is it different for Home or Pro version?

Any info/advice is much appreciated!

I don't know about home, but I would imagine it would have PWS like Pro. Basically, it's IIS 5.1 and has essentially the same features and limitations as IIS 5.0 did in Win2K Pro. I am not even sure if it will support .NET (like aspx files and such) features either.

Also, if you search around a bit here, you may see others have asked the same types of questions. Over here, CKM asked about a similar situation and I gave him several links to start him off. Those links might be of some importance to you as well.

Windows XP Professional comes with IIS 5.1, which is a minor upgrade to IIS 5.0 for Windows 2K. When you install Windows XP Pro, you'll have to go and install additional components form the CD and install IIS.

Dreamweaver has had some issues with Windows XP, Microsoft issued a compatiblity release for that, so you need to check Windows Update. You need to do this after you get the inital install anyway. Go ahead and though and install everything of of the CD first, and then do the Windows Update. There's about 20MB of stuff, so it might take a while.

ASP.Net will work fine, but you'll need the .Net Framework SDK Beta 2 or Release candiadate. The production .Net framework will also be a free download.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Windows XP Professional comes with IIS 5.1, which is a minor upgrade to IIS 5.0 for Windows 2K. When you install Windows XP Pro, you'll have to go and install additional components form the CD and install IIS.

Dreamweaver has had some issues with Windows XP, Microsoft issued a compatiblity release for that, so you need to check Windows Update. You need to do this after you get the inital install anyway. Go ahead and though and install everything of of the CD first, and then do the Windows Update. There's about 20MB of stuff, so it might take a while.

ASP.Net will work fine, but you'll need the .Net Framework SDK Beta 2 or Release candiadate. The production .Net framework will also be a free download.

Hope this helps.

That's exactly the info I needed. Also with the links Clutch provided will get me up and running with configuring it once loaded.

I was on the fence about which version of WinXP to purchase, Home or Professional.
Although I still haven't found out yet if Home edition contains IIS 5.1 or PWS or any kind of web server.

But thanks for the info, EVERYONE!

There is no web server in Home Edition frown

If you want a web server you need Windows XP Professional

I appreciate all of the info you guys/gals have provided me.

My mind is made up.

I'll be picking up WinXP Pro. after the new year.

Again, thanks for the info.

I just hope I'll be able to return the favor someday.

Thanks!

Stephman