Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Will there be life after SP3?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Do you think Win2k will ever get a fourth service pack. Lets place bets now. I think Win2k is pretty stable now at SP2. So I think SP3 could be the last.

Companies will be using Windows 2000 at least as long as NT4....if not longer. For instance the military and many other businesses who made the jump to 2k aren't even using Active Directory yet! smile There is absolutely no reason for them to jump all over XP. Currently from where I'm sitting I've heard nary a word on upgrading to XP. YAY! laugh

Win2K is still MS's answer to an industrial strength OS for corporate use, and WinXP has a long road ahead of it. I see no reason for anybody (other than laptop/remote users, just because of remote desktop and all of the improved power management features) in the corporate world to run to WinXP. Plus, Win2K with SP2 worked really, really well for me (hell, even SP0 and SP1 were fine too) as a desktop solution, and SP2 fixed a good deal of AD related issues that made it more reliable.

Don't forget also that while XP is a worthwhile upgrade for Win2k Pro, the 2k Server versions are still the latest and greatest windows servers available. So MS will have to continue supporting and up[censored] Win2k at least until .NET comes out.

While I've gone to XP, 2k was a much more mature OS. XP has some minor annoyances that MS needs to realize we want optional or that are just annoying bugs--like having to eject a CD for it to recognize the next one. And I mean right-clicking on the drive, and hitting eject from the menu type eject. Very annoying, and a bug.

Sounds more like you have auto-insert notification turned off than anything. I haven't seen that bug in 6 WinXP Pro installs, or in the 3 Beta installs that I fiddled with a while ago.

here to stay for quite a while yet.

XP just doesn't feel as professional or stable or as fast to me.

I like to describe it as the 'fisher price' version of W2k. All pretty colours for young minds to gurgle and google at.

I think XP tried to take over too much too. W2k seems slicker with SMP than XP does.

As you can probably guess, I love my W2k.

That happens when you have auto-insert notification turned off, but there's a simpler work-around than ejecting:

Pop the disc in and if it's not recognized, open "My Computer" and push F5 to refresh. It'll see the disc then.