Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Useing home computer as webserver

I am trying to host a website on my computer, which I am running XP on. Now I know in order to do this you have to do something with IIS or PWS or something right? I just cant seem to figure it out. I just want to run a webpage off my personal computer. Now I should probably have my partion with the webpage on it in the NTFS mode right for security, and on top of that I already have a firewall set up. I just need to know how I would actually go about makeing my webpage available on the internet through my computer.

And suggestions will be great!!

Thanx,

Masterfinn

This assumes you have XP Pro, if you have XP Home then this might well not work..

To install IIS:

Go to "Add/Remove programs" -> "Add/Remove Windows components". Tick the box that says "Internet Information Services (IIS)" (go to "Details" to select each individual component of IIS if you don't need it all) and click "Next".

Once it's finished installing, it will have the web pages by default located in \inetpub\wwwroot\

To configure the server go to "Computer Management" -> "Services and Applications" -> "IIS"

If you need any more specific help, the people in this forum will probably be able to help you out.

(Alternatively you could install a 3rd party web server such as Apache)

When you say you enabled the firewall, do you mean you just turned it on? In order for anyone to access your webpage, you will need to make sure that port 80 is open to your computer.

OK everything Im sure is working, but everytime I try to go in the "Computer Management" -> "Services and Applications" -> "IIS" section, as soon as I click on the IIS part, the cursor goes to the good ol hour glass and never gets back. I eventually have to end task in the task manager to get out of it. I dont konw why this is. I first added the IIS stuff and it did this. Then I tried to just get rid of all the IIS stuff all together and reinstall it, but that didnt help. I bet its just cuase my computer is a bag of a**, Im running, an Athlon 1.2Ghz and 512MB of RAM so I dont know, the only thing I know is that my hard drive is giveing my troubles so that could be it.... who knows........ oh well.

Thanx, for all the help though

Masterfinn

'ey dere robby

heres a link to what I was asking about this stuff. Clutch helped me out with links, and they are really good links. The dude knows IIS thats for sure.

here

CKM,

laugh I hope you got it working well.

As for MasterFinn, normally this issue will manifest itself if IIS didn't install properly. I actually had this very same issue on a machine that I had Visual Studio on, and when I removed and reinstalled IIS everything worked perfectly. Now I read that you have already removed and reinstalled it, but you might want to try it one more time. Also, try making a custom IIS MMC panel by running Start>Run and type "MMC". Then, add the IIS snap-in and when you open it, you should see the local machine. If you do reinstall IIS, make sure you have all of your updates in place.

If you are having HD issues, you might have some sort of corruption problem which would also impair your ability to administer (or even start) IIS. Is IIS starting in your services panel? Have you had another other "bizarre" problems that would lead you to think that your HD is going out? Did you delete the partition and format it on your last install? Are you using an original of the WinXP CD or a copy that might be corrupt?

Quote:
CKM, I hope you got it working well.

Actually i just skimmed over the links.

i have been writing some brutal finals, and I havent got any free time yet, tommorow is my last...thank god.

The C++ test today was UNREAL!!!
Supposed to be 3 hours, 99% of the class was in there for 4.5 hours.