Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Problems on T-bird system after fresh format and install of

Ok I have my system overclocked for the past couple of weeks on XP at 133x10.0=1333 with no problems at all. Now I have formated and freshly installed XP im getting wierd errors when I try to install anything from any of my cdroms. It says that the program is not win32 compatible or something. Or when i try to install something off the cdrom I get a hard lock and have to reset. Now if I install something off of the HD it works fine. I have not installed an via drivers since I know that XP has all of that. can you guys help me out? Here is my IRQ list. Also I have a promise ata-100 card in the system. so my drivers are setup like this

IBM 75GXP 45 gig ata-100 on IDE1 on Promise set to master

WD 20 GIG ata-66 on IDE2 on Promise set to master.(this one just shows up in XP as disk drive dont know why)

Philips CD-RW on IDE1 on mobo set to master

Toshiba 6x DVD-rom on IDE2 on mobo set to master

System Information report written at: 12/5/2001 9:47:35 PM

System Name: ELLANDRY

[iRQs]

Resource Device Status

IRQ 9 Matrox Millennium G550 OK

IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK

IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK

IRQ 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK

IRQ 10 SpeedStream 3060 Miniport ATM/ADSL Adapter OK

IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) OK

IRQ 11 Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller OK

IRQ 0 System timer OK

IRQ 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key) OK

IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK

IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK

IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK

IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK

IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK

IRQ 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse OK

Hmmm. Try using a lens cleaning CD, and set the CPU back to the default speed. Also, check the system logs to see if you notice anything suspicious.

I think I fixed the problem but I would not have guessed it. I had both my cdroms plugged in with ata-100 cables to the motherboard. I am guessing that unlike ata-66 cables, ata-100 cables are not backwards compatible to ata-33 and thus were causing problems. Since I have hooked the cdroms up with ata-33 cables no errors or lockups.

As far as I'm aware there is no difference between ATA66 & ATA100 cables - the rounded ATA66 cables I bought ages ago quite happily run my ATA100 devices.

ATA100 devices use the so "called" ATA 66 cables. The ATA66 cables have a higher pin count and can drive speeds higher than 66.