Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

Norton Anti-Virus 2001 and XP

Hi

I suspect the issues with AV 2001 and XP have been flogged to death here recently, but i've not seen this particular hiccup covered before.

I installed AV 2001 onto XP Professional 2600 and then installed the sym.event patch after AV 2001's repeated failures to start. So far so good, and everything including liveupdate ran smoothly for a day or so, downloading and installing updates etc.

Then, AV "started" failing to run at startup, with a message that it had been disabled. Ok fine, but weirdly it would kick in after about 2 mins uptime. Losing patience fast I "uninstalled" AV, ran disk cleanup and regcleaner and reinstalled. Same thing was happening. After removing "all traces" (ha!) again, I found that explorer.exe was having problems such as, I couldn't get right-click on System Properties or Local Disk, at least not instantly. The system would hang and then display the properties box after about the same time as it would take AV 2001 to kick in after a startup.

I'm a tad annoyed as I have a good six months of updates left on my registration, and although it's no biggy to go out and get AV 2002, I wonder had anyone experienced issues like this with AV 2001? I understand there could be problems installing the sym.event patch AFTER installing AV 2001. I have no AV on my system at the moment having resorted to a clean reinstall, but I note that the recent XP compatibilty patch (which i've downloaded) has AV 2001 support built in.

Can I safely reinstall AV 2001 with this in mind, or is it not worth the risk given the previous problems? I can't face another reformat.

Any opinions?

Cheers

Pikey

Well, thanks for the reply Alecstaar, but i'd really like to hear from people who have got the darned thing running happily under XP, i'm looking for a more battle-hardened/diagnostic approach really.

I don't see why it shouldn't work now, particularily with the pre-install update from Microsoft so i'd like to canvas a few more opinions before taking the plunge.

This may seem horribly trivial when I can go out and get the latest and greatest for about £30, but I will not be defeated so easily!

Anymore input folks?

Pikey

av 2002 has issues

i use norton 7.6 corporate edition

2001 definatley woln't work properly with xp final, as norton 7.51 ce doesn't work on the final. They worked in all the builds up till then but they want you to buy the new one so they make it incompatible. I did use the patch but neiter one works perfect with the final

As somebody who has been using AV 2002 since it first hit the shops (I purchased & downloaded my copy from symantec USA rather than waiting for it to appear in the UK).

Also as an AV 2002 user who has seen this program work great, stopping e-mail virus's before they can possibly be opened, scanning the whole system constantly yet only taking up around 5MB of memory.

As somebody who has seen no issues at all with AV 2002, any chance you could tell me all about the 'issues' with AV 2002?

remeber that tread about the boot up delays while nav starts (alec i know you remember what i am talking about) NAV 7.6 corp is the superior virus scan program. It has no system pauses on startup and it doesn't have that childish interface that the consumer version of NAV has. Still has the live update but it will work for more than just a year. It can be managed from a single distribution location on the network so that updates need only be downloaded once. I have noticed no performance hit using this software vs using the 2002 version which would pause my system just after logon (very annoying, I know i am not the only one with this problem.)

Well, no start-up delay on my system running NAV 2002.

"doesn't have that childish interface that the consumer version of NAV has"

I wouldn't call NAV's interface childish, the Corporate Edition uses a different interface agreed, I use it as work to protect all my systems, all managed from a central server to roll-out updates etc.

However, my home PC is not part of the company network, so, for that reason I don't have the corporate edition installed at home.

As the corporate edition isn't freely available off the shelf to the home user, again NAV 2002 is the only real option for home users.

Absolutely no performance hit with NAV 2002 at all.

My home system is set for maximum protection, all e-mail automatically scanned and all files scanned before being opened/executed.

Nprotect is taking up exactly 3.8MB of memory and there is no delay in opening any files.

wink I`m running nav 2001 in xp pro without problems.

This is what I did:

1.Install nav 2001

2.When prompted to restart, don`t!!

3.install sevinst.exe

4.now reboot the computer

After that install the updates thru liveupdate and you`re all done.

does the corporate 7.6 edition intergrate into Outlokk express 6 to protect from ewail viruses?