Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CounterCW

Send To CDRW

Ack!

I upgraded my CDRW firmware, and now the "Send To CD-writer" is gone!

Is there a way to bring it back?

All my other programs (eg. Nero) work fine on my system still.

Also..

Can one use the Backup utility that comes with XP to backup their stuff on CDRW?

Thanks in advance,

CounterCW

me too! I am living with this problem since I bought a new QPS 24x10x40 CDRW.

To those of you who have lost the CD in the Send To right-click context menu of Windows Explorer, if you've lost the CD writer in that menu for the reason I suspect, then just placing the CD writer back in the Send To directory for your profile (or for All Users) isn't gonna fix it. Check to see if the properties dialog for your CD writer has a Recording tab on it. If not, you're probably experiencing the same issue that I and quite a few others have faced.

I had seen a lot of these messages about the loss of the built-in CD writing functionality of WinXP online recently. I suspected that it had something to do with a CD burning update that was placed on the Windows Update site. Did you people install that update? If so, try uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it. No, I'm not kidding. I think that the patch was available for a while in a form which caused this problem. I restored functionality on my system by going through the whole process of removing the writer from Device Manager, removing all CD writing software, and then having the drive redetected by Windows and by reinstalling the Windows update and the other software. A brighter person than me on this forum who was having the same issues listened to my advice but decided to save himself some trouble by just uninstalling the Windows Update and reinstalling it. When he did so, his built-in WinXP CD writing functionality was restored.

The item you're looking for in Add/Remove Programs is "Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) [see Q309691 for more information]". You have nothing to lose by trying it. It's small and doesn't take long to download and install again. Oh yeah, just be sure to reboot the system after uninstalling and before reinstalling it.

Hope this is helpful.

- Collin