Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Just upgraded to XP PRO need Help

I know upgrading WinME to XP Pro is bad, I did 98 to 2000 once and it was bad. I will wipe clean later and use NTFS, right now running an upgraded WinME on FAT32 to XP Pro. Just need some questions cleared.

I learned that using the new SB Live drivers can cause problems, will stick with XP Default.

What the hell is wrong with the Nvidia detonators? I installed the 21.81 drivers from Hercules and when I check the driver version information, my Direct Draw and Resource Manager never get updated from v4.13.01.2181 while the rest are 5.13.01.2181??? I uninstalled the Hercules drivers and put the Nvidia 21.83 and the same thing all the other components read 5.13.01.2183 except the Direct Draw and Resource Manager, is this supposed to happen?????????????? I am getting a slow framerate inside Need For Speed High Stakes my testing of DirectDraw and Direct3D.

Also when I enable a 16-bit desktop color, all the icons look like Win95 16-color icons. In 32-bit all the icons look better.

And what is the problem with VIA chipsets and DMA, I have a VIA KX133, and WinXP won't enable DMA for my CD-ROMs unless it is enabled in the BIOS, just like Win2k, is there any way to have [AUTO] for CDROM in the BIOS and have WinXP enable DMA? I used the VIA 4.35 drivers but no luck.

Well I wiped clean and most things seem to be running a HECK of a lot better now.