Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

have an extra machine, what can i do with it?

Hi, can anyone help me make up my mind on what to do with my old CPU unit? Its in good shape, and I would like to see it put to work (it has served me very well). Its a Dual-pentium pro 200 MHZ machine with 512KB of cache (per processor) and 256MB EDO DIMM RAM. It also has a built-in sound card (Vibra Pnp16 [sb16 compatible]).

RIght now I'm considering the following options, but I am open to any and all suggestions:

a.) Get a 2 GB hard drive and set up a Linux server on it (i have NO IDEA how to do this)

b.) Set up a Windows 2000 domain on it (I have NO IDEA how to do this either)

c.) Set it up as a simple windows 2000 file server (no idea how to do this YET).

d.) E-Bay it! [dpn't like this optioon too much]

e.) give it away to someone

f.) trash it [i hate this option]

Any help people? I mean come on, its a dual processor machine, I hate for it to be just sitting there or wasted [by trashing it]!

Oh I almost forgot, the Motherboard is a Micronics w6-Li (lightning) dual pentium pro motherboard. I beleive it has UltraDMA/33 support. Tried it and it works with Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP and Linux Mandrake 7.1/8.0. For more info on this board, check out this link:

http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?men...ntium_Pro_W6_Li

Web-Server?

Dedicated Gameserver (running Linux)?

Seti@Home WU Cruncher smile

Router w/Firewall and NAT-ing for your homelan?

Thax Palos. I'm considering a web server. I don't know if my colege ISP allows this though. If i where to set it up as a web server running Windows 2000, I have yet to learn how to create a windows 2000 server succesfully. Oh well.

Thanx for the tips though. smile

Hmm. All these idea are very interesting indeed. Only one problem exists, the HOW. As you guys probably noticed I am not exactly a hardware or netwrok guru or genius. In I'm your typical windows dummy, just barely know how to set up IE to work on a LAN, LOL. I would love to set up a server of some sort on that machine. I am confident it can handle it. I am currently struggling with linux myself, so I don't think a Linux server would be my best or first choice. It looks like either a game or file server running some version of Windows 2000 (Windows 2000 server or Windows 2000 Advanced server). I need to learn how to do this stuff to begin with,

PS -> what's good forum (like this one smile ) for linux? I am having problems with my sound card and network card in Linux and I know it wouldn't be appropriate to post this here since its a Windows NT forum, LOL.

Well, if you ever plan on learning how to run a server now would be a good time. It will run Win2K server perfectly fine, and you can setup Routing and Remote Access on it. Then, you can install the NAT service and you wont need ICS at all (plus you will have tighter control on what goes in and out on the system). You can still learn to run a webserver regardless of what the college says, since you would at least be able to view it from inside your LAN and get used to hosting a publishing sites. This would be a better option initially anyway, so you can learn to LOCK IT DOWN and not contribute to the Code Red-type problems. I have Win2K server running on an old dual P166 server with 192MB of RAM, and it's hosting our IIS WWW and FTP sites, plus Terminal Services. It's a bit on the slow side, but yours would be much faster.

Cool. Thanx guys. Confidence boost. I'm thinking of setting it up as a file server using WIndows 2000, or even better as a full-blown web server using windows 2000. The only problem right now is our ISP has locked all pors but 80 and 21 to "conserve" bandwidth since they claim software like Kazaa, Morpheus, etc.. is eating up all their bandwidth. Even WITH the block, the speed is slower than 56K (a 28.8 modem can be faster!) The LAN seems to be working pretty OK. Its a ten based T1 LAN so file/print server is not too far away of an idea.

I also need to figure out how to re-compile the linux succesfully. I have done it like 9 times (no joke) and it never worked!

Anyways, I am still open to suggestions and advice. keep em coming folks.

Thanx for all yoyr help guys!

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED FOR TYPOS. thanx clutch

Simple.

When you are setting up IIS in Win2k simply set your web and ftp servers to use different ports.

Also, I would suggest that you do not allow anonymous access as your college IT peeps will be port scanning your entire network looking for servers offereing anonymous access to W4r3z and mp3s etc.

I have been busted once for running a Web/FTp server with anonymous access and it wasn't pretty. If it wasn't for the fact that I immedately took it down they would have booted me out of uni.

Peace,

F.

Quote:

..."conserve" nadwidth...

Was that a typo, or are they trying to limit the p0rn that comes across their lines?

laugh

clutch - > a typo. I fixed it in the post above

Feilix - > yeeouch dude! That sux. I guess i gotta be super careful. I plan to buy a a small size hard drive (say a 8 gig or 9) to be able to set up the server on (any hints where i can get one dirt cheap?). yeah our ISP don't seem to care too much about gtting the internet to work, but they care ALOT if we have access to mp3s or file-sharing (yeah, right. full of it!).

Quote:
How's sound + cost of shipping to you (probably a total of tops for it all)?

Sounds great? for a total of 5 gigs SCSI??
Please let me know.
Also, PMme your email address so I can email you as soon as funds become a little more relaxed. That way It'll help wuite a bit.
thanx

PS: exactly home many drives are they? cpacity / drive?
I just need to know to see if i have enough space to put linux and windows on the same machine. LOL

Thanx AlecStaar. I have written down your email and I'll get back to you ASAP as soon as funds are more available. I think SCSI is good for servers. Although 5.2 GB seems a bit small for a total size, I can always tap on more hard drives like you said. thanx.