Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TechOmech

Does Windows XP support 512 mb of Ram?

Yes and far more. wink

9x does too but will error out. A simple fix is listed in the MS knowledge base.

Why does everyone go on about 512MBRAM not working on Windows 9x.Iv never had any problems on Windows98SE with 512MBRAM, at once i actually had 576MBRAM in and it still ran no problem at all.

---------------------------------------

1.2Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird @ 1.32Ghz

Gigabyte 71XE4 M/Board

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

NVIDIA 64MB GeForce 2MX200 AGP

Seagate 40GB 5400Rpm ATA/100 HDD

Lite-On 16/10/40 BurnProof ReWriter

40x Compaq CDRom Drive

36x Creative CDRom Drive

Hauppage PrimioFM WinTV/Radio Card

Creative SoundBlaster 128PCI

NetGear 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Adapter - cable connection

Blackwidow 648 USB Scanner

Epson 580 USB Printer

WindowsXP Professional Corporate Platinum Edition

WindowsXP Plus Pack!

OfficeXP Professional with FrontPage

Publisher XP

----------------------------------------

Because it:

A. Didn't work on some systems by way of random bugs, and

B. Was SO far past the point of diminishing returns in performance, that it just isn't recommended no matter what you are running.

When you have a need for that kind of memory, you should be using an NT-based OS.

No you wont have any problems with 512MB+ under Win9x per say, but Win9x can't effectively cache above this amount.

Taking a Win9x PC over 512MB can actually cause the system to greatly slow-down rather than speed up as you would expect from a memory upgrade.

you'll have to get MSDOS 6.22 in order to take full advantage of 512 megs of ram as dos 6.22 is currently the only os that can handle such massive amounts of memory

And you will have to partition the installation and run at least 50 virtual DOS servers at once, thereby having a "cluster-in-a-box". Oh, and be sure to setup at least ONE of them to load the damn CD-ROM at boot...

LOL

DOS

I once had an entire shell for dos made out of batchfiles with different menus. It even had a screen saver batch file that would kick in by itself

LOL

computers were such a joke back then

whatever man all my freinds that started using computers after me don't know sh1t about dos. NO ONE learns on this track anymore. All you gotta do is point and click now. Stupid people don't even want to use the command line. Plus everything is so automatic now, I got a much better understanding for how computers work when i had to set all the parameters for my hardware via bios settings and the autoexec.bat file. Now you put in the cd type you name serial and a password and windows is installed with everything all set. It is too easy now and people that are getting into it now think they know what's up, but they don't know crap. You can't step to someone that has seen the world b4 windows. On anthoer note remember when macs were better than pcs? That was a while ago

i am just on a stoned rant i will shut up now.

It depends on what you are going to use on a >512MB system with win9x, because 2 to the power 32 is the limit on some program. wink

WinXP

Athlon 1.4GHz

512 MB DDRRAM

Voodoo 3 2000

SBLive

Kodak EZ200

TDK 24/10/40

Hitachi DVD

I never have a problem with any hd, except old webcam

i can now tell that Alecstaar is a Yank (as if i couldn't before)....

He referred to a film called 'The Roadwarrior'. The film wasn't actually called that.....It was called Mad Max 2, and it was the sequel to the classic Mad Max.

But Mad Max wasn't released in the States, so when they released the second over there they had to think of a name for you transatlantic bunch...so they called it after what Max was referred to by the Feral Kid (Emil Minty, if you are interested) in the film.

www.madmaxmovies.com is a cool site; it turns out that the car actually lives in England now, at a museum for Film Cars (which would be worth a visit as they have tons of cool cars like James Bond's DB5, etc). The history of the car section is great, a real saga.

I had Mad Max and Mad Max 2 on VHS, but when i visited Florida this a few months ago I bought the DVD of The Road Warrior, just so that it would be cool that I would be the only person with the differently-named release (as well as the title, the picture on the front is different). I haven't watched it yet, I hope it isn't cut as when they show it on TV over here they always chop a few bits out (like when the pick-up with the two men chained to the front runs into the back of the speeding juggernaut and you see the blood go up the back). I will be gutted if it is.

I reckon Alecstaar knows the site; the picture of the Interceptor by the side of the road is from there, or maybe he found it elsewhere.

Anyone who likes the second (or the first for you lot) should catch up with the original Mad Max. It is a great film, and shows Max when he was slightly less 'damaged goods' (and explains why he became that way). It is just as inventive in ways to kill scumbag leather-clad biker types, and personally I think that while it isn't as good a film overall (or just isn't a extreme as '2') its supporting characters are stronger. I am thinking of Bubba Zanetti, The Toecutter ('Light me, Bubba'), the Police Chief who seems to dress in leather even on his days off, and the best of the bunch, Goose.

No-one makes films like the Aussies you know......

Anyway, back to work...

Papercup, UK

p.s. while the Black Interceptor is cool I woul still prefer one of the yellow interceptors, for just how groovy and seventies they look