Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
oaydin

how to opey speed for clients n users ?

how can I put total d/l limit for client

n also for spesific user ?

problem is , I have cable here but just the name is cable, my max d/l is 15 kb, as u may guess, sometimes sister logs in n kills all the bandwith with stupid things,

also father connects laptop again sometimes, if both come together, my all fxp's stop ,

in a way I have to put speed limit or at worst balance the bandwith in equal parts .

dunno anything as how to about this

any suggestions pls

pc connected to outside is running w2k srv

thxs smile

AlecStaar , thxs for reply, I really appreciate your help at those forums smile

but lol as u laughed before that's not the way to go smile

I searched some , but didn't understand about QoS

my nic's are 3com n intel so they will support it

but if someone explain it a little bit for beginning I'm sure it will help really

:)))

I checked help for QoS again

this time I installed QoS Admission control service, from there I saw what I'm looking for

if I didn't see wrong

QoS actually can limit any client n user, looks cool

BUT , dunno rest n what to do

also as said at help installed QoS packet schudeler to client

but will I install that to my 2 nic at srv ?

as a result couldn't work it

but I hope someone can light me at this point smile

my network knowledge is very low frown

but I got my second pc just for to learn network

so that's what I try to do nowadays smile

I don't push myself so hard nowadays but learning everyday

just need to leave that genetic lazy part of me smile

Well, that is a good link from APK regarding this feature, but here's the simple breakdown regarding QoS:

1. It can be used for routing priority of traffic to an from a particular destination

2. It can be used to set priority for particular applications (in the same way Layer 4 Extreme network switches do, I believe). For example, you can set priority for VoIP, then an ERP system, then generic DB access, and so on down to multimedia and file downloads from Internet connections.

3. I *think* you can set caps on the percentage of bandwidth used, but I haven't had a need to use any function of QoS yet so I don't know for sure how it's done.

Now, this is a lot like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly, so let's see if we can use something else for the interim. What service is your sister connecting to in order to download from you? Is it IIS, and if so is it the WWW or FTP service? You can set speed caps for each of the WWW sites, but I can't remember if you can do it for the FTP sites at this moment. To set the cap on a website, just right click on it in the Internet Services Manager, and select "Properties". Then, select the "Performance" tab. From there, you can set your speed cap. Now, if you are using FTP, I will have to check that out a bit more because I can't remember if there is a direct way to adjust the speed or if a workaround is needed. Also, you can use other FTP hosting programs that have those caps (and support upload resume), but I don't care for them as they don't integrate all that well and have the logging support I need. Let me know what you are looking for, ok?

smile

thx for reply Clutch smile

now there is 2 worse position ,

1- sister is using srv , bc I change my client hardware always, also overclock, can't run srv on my pc 24/7

2- she d/l's using Morpheus n Edonkey , so no ftp or www

now even if I had a solution without QoS , I want to learn QoS smile

else will feel like it beated me lol

will spend the week if I have to , will read all I can find

but before lemme ask in a network like that small with 2 pc

would I get any benefit using NAT for internet sharing ?

(also my icq on client can't receive file, may ip forwarding can work with icq too?)

if NAT can help in some areas, also with QoS I will use it ,

if not will jump it for now

so that's the only question for now , than my learning begins with mstech n help files smile

I hope I can do it , will share it with u guyz when I do it smile

not as asx flattering but thxs all who replies n tries to help eachother here , those helps are priceless smile

Alec u the man

was just gonna die laughing

will save that post

rofl

I had a very busy week so couldn't spare time to learn

but my lovely sunday is empty n I will give my all time to that

thxs again for all that support

Offended , oh man , never ever here

with all your support I just sometimes feel shy n stupid to ask questions

dude it really got u so long to solve her joke but I would like to be there when u replied her, she must really be shocked lol

will look for that dvd, maybe I can find a divx rip smile

anyway before tring about QoS I have something else to solve

the problem exists for 3 days

w2k logins to domain very slowly, takes more than a min to get my desktop

event viewer says : Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).

searched for it n found I may have a problem with User rights Assignment at srv

but couldn't find a problem there

also a bud told :

( Another thing might be, because remember how I talked about SIDS in the domain and just giving a computer the same name doesn't make it match anything when it was already there? Sometimes goofey **** like this can be fixed by removing the computer from the domain, putting it in a workgroup with the same name as the domain, rebooting, then re-adding it to the domain again to resynchronize all SIDS. Then go through the permissions in question and reapply them again.)

didn't try that yet but will tomorrow , it's 3 am here now smile

but the weird part is, I'm running a domain srv more than a month , reinstalled many times n didn't have that problem , I just started to have it after I change the internal nic on srv

I was using 3com to 3com , now srv has a intel nic to communicate with 3com that's on my client

I suppose bc those new intel nics have hardware ip security thing

that creates the problem

maybe intel to intel wouldn't

anyway as a last chance I will change it with 3com again tomorrow

than QoS is waiting for me smile

sister will be suprised some lol