Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dissident2k1

Return to castle Wolfenstein = Awesome

Just to let you know that Return to castle Wolfenstein is by far the best game I've ever played in my life since I own a PC. Every gamers should go buy it. I give a score of 10 out of 10 for the graphics(yep, GeForce owners will hallucinate) and another one of 10 for the gameplay. Same story for the Multiplayer mode. If someone have infos about the 3D engine they used, just let me know.

It's a modified Quake 3 engine, modified to make it look awesome as sh!t.

Apparently it's the Quake 3:Team Arena engine, which is itself a modded Q3A engine.

It's supposed to be able to handle vast outdoor lasndscapes better then Q3A

Just wait for the Unreal 2 engine, muhuahahaha laugh

Or even better, the Doom 3 one...dynamic lighting among others, the demos look scary man, lol

The Team Arena engine is a more recent, modified Quake 3 engine...and the RTCW engine is a modified Team Arena engine, if that makes sense laugh

Anyway, RTCW looks and runs fantastic, even on my Athlon 700...currently I'm stuck in the crypt area, (POSSIBLE SPOILER) where the instant death traps are... ;(

Am i the only one to think it was boring and short. I mean i had it finished within 2 days (and yes im SURE other ppl on here did it faster).

The game just highlighted how terrible the quake3 arena engine is at doing outdoor scenes, all the landscapes are flat with very angluar hills. Authough the graphics on the insides are good, and the models are great.

And no bots? Basically means that i cant play it multiplayer as its not gonna be fun over a 3 person LAN and ill get a 300+ ping over the net.

Sorry just kinda left me feeling that i had spent £34.99 on a game that i will play for about 10hours.

What's this "paying for software" bit? I'm unfamiliar with this concept laugh

If you want a long game, play Deus Ex. OMG, that game had so many areas to explore.

Maybe the engine of RTCW is the best, but the colors the makers have chosen are terrible. I keep running through dark brown, dark grey and dark red level-constructions. I thank to god they didn´t invent dark black ( wink ). The only bit of color (mostly blue and green) I was allowed to see was during the outdoor missions. However, the NPCs graphics are quite good.

The AI opponents aren´t the brightest. I managed to play through the hardest setting (death incarnate if I remember correctly) in a single day. Aim for the head, shoot and circle strafe.

Alomst non existing plot. SPOILER ALERT!!! Heinrich I is banished into some sort of spiritual prison by some mage, Nazis resurrect him, you put him into the grave. That´s it. They shouldn´t have called it RTCW, but KH1: Kill Heinrich I.

Of a title named RTCW, I expect to hunt down Nazis, their leaders and Hitler himself. Unfortunately, hunting Nazis only make 33% of the whole game. BTW, did you know the Fuehrer (Hitler) didn´t have a Fuehrerschein (=driving license) and that he wasn´t even german?

RTCW looks like a very expensive multiplayer game with added single player part as some sort of bonus. The last game ID put more than 16 colors in was Doom 2. Quake1: dark and ugly but fun to play. Quake2: dark and ugly but fun to play. Quake3Arena: dark and ugly and n o t fun to play. Return To Castle Wolfenstein: dark and ugly and n o t fun to play, too. Doom3: dark and ugly and n o t fun to play, too? I hope not!

Quote:
someone have infos about the 3D engine they used, just let me know.

Not to sound like a broken record, but it is a modified version of the Q3A engine. Activision modified it to be able to "wrap" digital picture textures of actual castles and what not. Same with the models. Something else about the modified engine, compared to that of Carmacks beauty, the skeletal system actually implements "bones." They go underneath a multi-part model, getting rid of the joint "seams" that are clearly visible in Q3.

Quote:
The AI opponents aren´t the brightest. I managed to play through the hardest setting (death incarnate if I remember correctly) in a single day. Aim for the head, shoot and circle strafe.

Man...I thought the easiest setting was getting hard, espcially with the uber-soldats and lopers.

OK, I'm probably going to get some stick for this, but here goes anyway smile

Can anybody tell me what makes 'Return to castle Wolfenstein' any better than all the other FPS's out there?

I haven't seen anything about this game, haven't seen any screenshots, haven't read any reviews.

The thing is, I see FPS the same as fighting games on consoles, every second game is of this type, they are all so similar to each other and it's just the same old thing over and over again.

The market gets rather saturated etc.

So, can somebody list say 5 points for me as to why this game is so much better than the likes of Quake2, Quake3, Halflife etc.

Preacher, you must be one hell of a FPS player if you beat it on Death Incarnate, man I am playing on medium [bring em on] and still suffering. The game is quite challenging, just like Kingpin. Obvious since they were both made by the same people. I find it cheap at times, but overall it is a decent game. I am not a big fan of the multiplayer component. I like DM no Team stuff.

Anyways, for the hardest game ever just try playing Shogo: Mobile Armor Divison, man you get killed the instant you turn a corner. If you can beat that on Hard, I salute you!

BladeRunner, Wolfenstein is more or less the same romp as other FPS. Like Nolf, Quake2, Kingpin, etc. I think the allure of Wolfenstein is in the name [people been waiting for a sequel for a long time] and nothing else.