Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xeovar

Will XP survive whole machine change ?

Here's the situation:

I'm running XP on one-processor standard PC (P3 933, Soltek KV-65, GeForce DDR + S3 Virge (two monitors), 2 dynamic ATA HDs), and soon I will get Dell Precision Workstation 530 (2xXeon 1,5GHz, Intel 860i chipset, ATi Radeon VE (dual-head), ATA HD).

I wonder if ghosting system disk from old machine to new one and just trying to boot XP will work.

I did such thing for W2k when moving from Toshiba notebook to IBM and it worked, but in current case number of processors differ...

When moving W2k I just removed all devices from Device Manager, shut down the system, ghost it to new one and it worked smile

But here I have doubts... dynamic disks mounted into directories on system disk, different number of procs... confused

I think I'll give it a try, but maybe it was done before laugh

--

Xeovar

That idea has failure written all over it. Due to the differing chipsets alone, you are looking at major problems and almost guaranteed BSODs at boot. You really, really don't want to do that, and you would be better off just reinstalling it fresh so it can load all the proper drivers in the beginning, and get any updates that pertain to your new system only.

laugh

You're probably right. But I'll try it anyway, leaving my old system intact, I'll just ghost system drive smile

We'll see.

Xeovar

Before you ghost the system run sysprep if it is available for XP. It was for 2000. If it does exist for XP it will make system change much more pleasant. You might also have to call Microsoft anyway. But if you have a legit copy I'm sure they will believe your explanation smile

Shouldn't need to call MS at all.

If it's WinXP Retail you are using you are allowed X amount of on-line activations before phoning is required.

Wouldn't this be a job for the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" built into XP? I don't know for sure because I have never played with this tool.

But then again, Microsoft licence's that copy of XP for that machine and they want you to buy a new copy for any new machines. Let us know how you manage to do it and how it turns out.

File and settings transfer is more for bookmarks, email setup, My Documents, etc. rather than drivers and installed hardware. Plus, I don't think that it carries over activation. I would just reinstall it and re-run the activation. It will be FAR cleaner and much more stable. I mean, what's the point of getting such a high-end box when you are running an installation based on a machine of half its power?

wink