Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lospman

Asus A7M266 with new 1005 bios in Win2k?

Has anyone sucessfully completed this combination? I had a perfectly running win2k system with bios version 1004. I upgraded the bios and wammo.........I could not ever get win2k to boot again. I mean blue screens with not the same error twice. I finally had to reformat, go back to the 1004 bios and reinstall. Anyone else have this problem? I can't seem to find anyone else talking about it? I used the auto updater while running win2k.

PLEASE HELP!!

I had the same problem but in a bit of a different situation. I fried my MB/CPU and bought the A7M266 w/ 266fsb 1ghz. Threw that in my box running XP Pro build 2600 and upgraded to bios 1005. It worked just fine, then I decided that I wanted to format and go back to 2000 SP2. So after doing that...reinstalling 2000 gave me nothing but errors at different spots every single time I tried it. I ended up disabling the all of the cache and anything else I could think of that would be a problem and the I proceeded to install Windows 98. After it finally installed about 8 hours later, I decided to switch back to the 1004 bios....which I should have done in the first place, but I wasn't thinking. I'd like to get an XP processor, but with the issues I was having with 1005, I'm just going to wait. I'd love to know if there is a better solution, but I think I'm out of luck on that one.

Well I think I may have figured it out. I went back to the 1004 bios and reinstalled....everything was good. But I was just erked that I could not have the latest and greatest. I went to the Asus website and found the old Aflash.exe program. I put that on a floppy and then got another copy of 1005. I started the computer up (which is win2k) with a winME bootdisk. I selected command prompt (shift+F5) and then threw in the flash disk. I flashed the bios and restarted. This time I was careful to go straight into the Bios and set everything to the default like it had warned me the first time. (I don't know if this did it or not) Then I restarted, went into the bios again, set it the way I like, restarted and wammo. I am just loving this round with win2k. Everything works and I never have problems!