Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shicka

win xp home vs. win xp pro (for games)

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

XP Pro smokes!!!! I can't imaging HOME being any faster or better.

Athlon 900

256mg Ram

40 gb HDD

TNT2 32mb

XP Pro has everything XP Home does and then some.

Do you want everything Pro has or not? Home is cheaper, but if you're looking into SMP you will have to have XP Pro.

Quote:

...with Pro you can't play A LOT of games because it's NT. Something that doesn't occur with Xp Home.

;( You do know that both XP Home and Pro are based on the same NT codebase don't you? Microsoft have killed off Win9x for good. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Quote:

...with Pro you can't play A LOT of games because it's NT. Something that doesn't occur with Xp Home.

lol, i don't think you know what you're talking about man.

Probably Home, cos you won't need to turn off 10000 services that you don't need, and come extra with Pro? Not sure tho, I didn't have the chance to compare Home with Pro to see what services are added.

One of the bigest differences between Home and Pro is that Home cannot connect to a domain.

As for OS Compatability they are the exact same.

I compared Idling ram usage on Pro and Home.., Home uses about 10MB less ram at the most, turning off about 4 services on Pro will free up that much.

Quote:

Not to flame or anything, but YOU ARE A FREAKIN IDIOT. Once you move to the NT code, you realize that 9x does suck. NT's only real disadvantage comes when software comapanies decide to be an arse about it and not do or poorly do an implementation of it on NT.

Oh, and whatever you're smoking---send me some of that!!:D

Quote:

Not to flame or anything, but YOU ARE A FREAKIN IDIOT. Once you move to the NT code, you realize that 9x does suck. NT's only real disadvantage comes when software comapanies decide to be an arse about it and not do or poorly do an implementation of it on NT.

Oh, and whatever you're smoking---send me some of that!!:D

Well, calling somebody a "FREAKING IDIOT" would classify as a flame, regardless of the disclaimer. Plus, both OSs share the same NT core anyway so he was more wrong on THAT account than by saying games don't run well on NT.

Now, I would have been more of the mindset of Palos, and that since Home has less services running by default that it would have more resources to give for gaming. But, since I only use Pro (and can disable services if I REALLY want to as EddiE indicated), I would have to vote "Pro".

laugh

Well I am new to xp, I have had alot of harware/software problems but XP seem's to run my games smother than Win9x OS systems. I vote for XP pro. since that is what I own.