Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maxx?

A Not So Important Problem

I never thought i was this helpless. I'm trying to set my screen saver to a password (using the win2k logon screen saver). but when i check the "password protected" box, apply it (juts in case), then preview the screen saver... it doesn't prompt me for my password. it also will not prompt me for my password if i let the time expire and have the screen saver come up on its own.

i'm going to a large lan this weekend and i would like this to work. any help is appriciated

Here you go, direct from the Microsoft Knowledge base:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/...amp;SPR=WIN2000

Symptoms:

When you select the Password Protected option for a screen saver, the password protection is used only if the screen saver starts automatically when the wait time has expired.

Password protection is not used if you start the screen saver manually from the Microsoft Office toolbar, by double-clicking the screen saver (.scr) file in Windows Explorer, or by clicking Preview on the Screen Saver tab in Display properties.

Resolution:

To use the password protection for your screen saver, allow the wait time to expire so the screen saver starts automatically.

This behavior is by design.

However I've just seen that you have let it expire. smile

This of course adds a new level of issues smile

What SP are you running?

I am almost positive this was an issue pre-SP2.

Why not just use the <Window Key>-L key combination to lock the system when you leave it. That's a lot better than waiting for the screensaver to pop up. Or am I missing something here? The screensaver will still pop up after the time elapses, and the system will be secure from the moment you hit the key combo.

- Collin

Locking the computer is a great thing, I use it all the time at lans.