Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annakha

Intellimouse explorer cuts out under XP

Since I have installed WinXP Pro my intellimouse explorer 3.0, which is connected through USB, cuts out. Games, desktop, surfing, the mouse will stop responding and I have to physically unplug the mouse then plug it in again to make it work. Also XP seems to keep trying to re-install my mouse. It makes a noise at which time my mouse cuts out until it finishes then it's usable again.

I have installed the new drivers for it, including intellipoint 4.01. Nothing seems to work. If anyone has any suggestions or has encountered this same problem(s), I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance to all you guys for your help.

Try using the ps/2 connector. I've noticed that different systems react differently to both the USB and ps/2. On Windows 2000, the USB connection didn't work worth a flip for me. However, in XP USB works great and ps/2 sucks.

Did you upgrade to xp or do a full fresh install??

If you upgraded, that might be a problem, because of the previous mouse drivers/software. I recommend uninstalling all mouse software, uninstalling the mouse, and uninstalling your usb ports. Then reboot and let windows reinstall them all again. Then install the 4.01 mouse drivers. If this doesn't work, it might be a hardware problem...in fact, it probably is. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I had done a clean install, though I will try the ideas that you have suggested. ]

I have actually seen a thread on Microsoft's discussion forum, where someone else was having pretty much the same problem I'm having. The reply from another user said that it was actually due to the way the mouse was constructed. The cord leading out of the mouse is actually plugged into the board of the mouse instead of being soldered on. It said after prolonged use, especially where a keyboard tray was used (thus the mouse cord was hanging of the back and causing the cord to slowly come loose from within the mouse due to the constant pull) the results were exactly the symptons I described.

Solution: It said that either I could replace my mouse, especially if it was still under warranty (which was adviced)or open the mouse up and use a special type of glue (I think) to securely attach the plug back into the board of the mouse. The latter is the course of action that was used by that person, and they said that since then no problem. I guess it looks like hardware after all. frown

Thanks again for all your help. smile

Yes, I had the exact same problem... it was a hardware issue. However, I think those have a lifetime warranty, so get ahold of MS and get them to send you a new one. They sent me a replacement, without even having to ship the bad one back....

I might have to try cracking open that bad one and see if I can get it working though.....

I had a problem like this in all versions of windows.. it is something to do with the cable/wiring....

Im worried about my mouse because where the cable goes into the mouse seems to be getting white with strain...