Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jfk-Sting

Unknown device (USB)

Hi, I installed an USB Logitech Camera under Xp and was functional (the setup worked fine and drivers are loaded) until I unplugged it (it is a photo-camera too) and the I plugged after the use.

Now Ev'ry time when I insert the usb plug in my pc it finds only an "Unknown device" under the usb tree in Device Manager window.

I know that is a "ghost" problem of the usb but someone (also with other devices) has an idea to stop the automatic (pnp) procedure to force manually the drivers for my camera. If I try to upgrade the drivers for the "unknown device" it doesn't works? Some help to solve this damn problem with usb pnp, please... (Other usb devices works fine, a modem and a hub e.g.)

Thanks in advance, Gianfranco

frown

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. I have a quickcam pro. All my other USB devices work fine. I plugged the cam into a friends computer and it detected it right away as the cam. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

well..that info was a little bit over my head...but here is what i did find out. In my device manager under USB controllers I have listed SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controllers listed. After looking around online a while i found a LOT of complaints about that controller and its compatibility with windows xp. All of them basically ended with the suggestion of going out and getting a USB PCI card. (Since my last post more of my USB devices have stopped working and are not being detected) I don't really understand how they can be working fine and then slowly stop working ...but...whatever I guess. I suppose I'll go out and get a PCI card and see what happens....I'll let u know if that works for me.

Well, I went out and bought a $30 USB 2.0 PCI card from staples and that fixed up my usb problems. The onboard ones obviously still don't work but I just went into the device manager and disabled the usb host controllers. Maybe someday SiS will come out with a patch to fix them. I do have to say tho....that it is really really weird how they worked for a while...i installed xp about a month after it came out...and then just now stopped working. Oh well I guess. But there ya go. Hope this helps you guys out.

Take care and good luck ;-)